Thursday 21 August 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

This book was the reading equivalent of watching an accident in slow motion. I just could not tear my eyes away from the horror that was to come!

I really do not want to say to much about the plot, as it is better to go into this knowing as little as possible. I will say, though, that Gillian Flynn wrote a book about horrid people that keeps the pages turning. I only guessed a few things that were going to happen - and for a crime thriller, that is unusual for me. 

What I loved the most about this book was the unreliable narrators. Generally in any crime thriller (that is if you can really call this a crime thriller - but allow me this one) you follow a neutral detective who hunts for clues. You read the clue, you store the clue, you solve the 'crime'. With this book - well, it isn't that simple.

I am definitely going to pick up some more of her books. As I said in a comment earlier this week, this book has definitely raised the bar for all future crime books I read.

2 comments:

  1. I think this one would still be considered a crime thriller. The police are involved at least! Haha.

    Great (spoiler-free) review. I agree that the alternating POV was interesting (I like unreliable narrators) but it's such a wacky book!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked the review! I really tried not to drop any spoilers at all.

    I have an objection to spoilers. I think I would have found 'Gone Girl' more shocking if I hadn't heard so much about it on BookTube. (Granted, I probably would have never bought it if I hadn't though - I mean, come on! Neon orange! Urgh!) Although none of the reviewers actually dropped spoilers, each review added up until I actually had a very good idea of what the book was like. I still had loads of surprises, but I knew that everything was not as it seemed, so I was expecting them. Let's put it this way, when part 2 arrived, I was not surprised, just pleased that I had guessed correctly before I had even opened the book.

    Thanks so much for commenting. :D

    ReplyDelete