Sunday 24 August 2014

5 Book Challenge | Post-Apoctolyptic Edition

Another challenge that I cannot resist taking part in. This one was created by Falling Down the Book Hole. You can click on the link below. 
The scenario! 
It is 11:00 PM on a Sunday night. You are laying in bed thinking about all of the things you must do the next day. Tasks of the coming days consume your thoughts and while your mind is somewhere else you are caught off guard by a flash in the sky that is followed by a large wailing screech that pierces the air and shatters your bedroom window. Slowly you move to the window and what you see catches your breathe and causes you to stumble back a few steps. The aliens (at least you think they are aliens) have began to enter the city and destroy everything that is in their path. Through the window your view is consumed with destruction, screaming people and large flames that are dancing across the city at a fast pace. You notice that the creatures are heading in your direction and you realize you probably have about fifteen minutes before they reach your home. That means you have only about ten minutes to gather your belongings and escape before you are caught in the attack from the aliens invading the city.
Given the short amount of time you are only able to take 5 books with you. What books would you pick to take with you as you escape and prepare for the end of the world. Would you choose books that would help you survive in the post-apocalyptic world ,books for pleasure that would make you happy and take you to a fantasy reality or books that you can’t live without? 

______________________________________


1. I really was unsure whether to take The Mosquito Coast by Paul Therox along, because it is not my favourite by a long shot. But, there is good reason for it being here. 
a) I can use the information in this book to build a functional habitat for myself. 
b) The father in this book annoyed me to such an extent, I am sure it could fuel me to actually shoot to kill, should I need to save my life. 


(I would highly recommend the movie version of this book. It is a lot less painful to get through, and River Phoenix and Harrison Ford are amazing in it.)

2. Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden. A crash course on how to fight an alien invasion - in this case though, not aliens from another planet. But I am sure the principles would be the same. Plus, the female protagonist is really kick-ass!



3. Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness would go in next. This is to keep me grounded so that I remember that pretty much all sides are in the wrong - unless it is my side of course. This book (the whole series actually) was an amazing read, so it would also be great for some entertainment value. 



 
4. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell just so that through all the battle and bloodshed, I remember who I was in the good ol' days - a geeky fangirl who preferred the quiet life with a book. It would also be a completely non-war related story, so it would help for some well-deserved escapism.

 
5. And lastly, the back up plan in case all else fails. If the situation ends up dire, I don't plan on hanging around for long, so what other book can help you get around than The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I'm going to get off of this rock!

My book has four of the stories in it, so I am sure this is a legal cheat.


2 comments: