Saturday 17 January 2015

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Well this was interesting!

This book follows its predecessor well with a strong cast of characters involved in a plot-twisting mystery. Cormoran Strike is sent on the trail of a missing writer - and naturally everything that could go wrong does go wrong. I really do enjoy these types of mystery stories as they are far less predictable than many of the others out there.

Having said that I would not recommend these books for younger readers who are interested because JK Rowling wrote them. It is not targeted for children. The contents of the Bombyx Mori manuscript, the book in the story, is depraved. I did enjoy the different angle it presented in the mystery though. It was unusual and gave the story more depth.

As with The Casual Vacancy, Rowling, Galbraith, whatever name you are supposed to use in these circumstances, does not paint a pleasant picture of adult life. Dysfunctional relationships fill the pages and this does leave a slightly bitter taste in one's mouth. Granted, adult life is not all sunshine and daisies, but there are other options out there besides the hopeless scenario that is presented. Maybe seeing relationships from a Private Investigator's point of view could result in this, but I am in no position to speculate.

Even having said that, though, I will be looking out for the next book when it becomes available as I am really keen to see what happens to Cormoran and Robin in the future. Even though this review seems to have a negative tone, I actually did enjoy this book and will be looking forward to whatever mystery awaits the two next.

Rating: 4 stars although I'll be telling my grandmother that I have lost the book or something, because I am not letting her read this one. It would not be in her comfort zone.

This is the first book to be cleared from my TBR pile for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment