Sunday 24 May 2015

Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #3) by Alexander McCall Smith

“Women, as usual, were expected to behave better than men, and inevitably attracted criticism for doing things that men were licensed to do with impunity.”

― Alexander McCall Smith, Morality for Beautiful Girls

It is always pleasant to return to a familiar setting with familiar people. That is what it is like picking up another one from Smith's Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. Mma Ramotswe is still solving crimes and helping improve people's lives. In this book, though, the person who needs the most help is someone close to her.

I am not sure why, but I did not enjoy this one as much as I did the previous two. Maybe it was because I didn't read it in one sitting as I did with the other two. Maybe it had to do with the issue of depression. Now, I am not saying that depression is not an important issue that needs attention and awareness and understanding. I am far from that. I think it could have been that the character who ended up dealing with depression was a character that I did not expect to have endure that. Silly, yes, I know. Just because a character is stable and responsible etc. does not imply in the slightest that they are immune to such complications. But, but, but. I could not help feeling that it was out of character. This is very contradictory. I know. But sometimes I wondered if this angle was put in the book because it is good to discuss depression, and not because it is a part of a character arc. I guess I will find out more when I read the next one.

The results of this character being removed from the direct plot though were enjoyable. I really enjoyed watching Mma Makutsi really show her skills. She is quite a special character in that her views are innocent but still filled with snippets of wisdom.

One thing I do appreciate in all these book is the underlying notes on feminism. The characters in these stories are breaking the moulds and questioning the expectations on women. Although they still conform a lot, as one tends to in society, the thoughts are there and the messages are being conveyed.

This was the 23rd book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge. (If you want to join up, you can until the end of the month, I think.)
I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment