Sunday 31 May 2015

I am the Messenger by Markus Zusac

What a lovely story with a lovely message. Unfortunately, it is about to sound incredibly flat with a horribly written review. Because to say much at all is to spoil something. I can't comment on characters, plot or the message because that will be giving something away - and this is a book you should read, and your friends should read, and your kids should read. Everyone should read this book, because I like the message and I think we should all hear it.

Ed Kennedy is nineteen years old and going no where. Until one day he is at a bank when it is robbed. And then everything changes - well, somethings change.

This story is filled with some really touching characters. They are not extraordinary - in fact, they are very much like people we know. There are those going nowhere slowly, those who have money, those who are lonely, those who are... well, read the book. It would be a good way to get the list. And that way, I won't spoil anything.

Zusac really has some gorgeous descriptions. It just adds to the pleasure of reading. He manages to subdue the harshness of some scenes by personifying inanimate objects and reflecting the pain or emotion onto them. He also captures harshness with some beautiful metaphors. (Can you tell I teach English? I am sorry.)

“I think she ate a salad and some soup.
And loneliness.
She ate that, too.”

― Markus Zusak, I Am the Messenger

I think that this book is going to be one of those that I will keep thinking about in the future. It isn't that it is earth shattering in wisdom - but yet it is, coming from yet another completely ordinary human being. That message is important and so true.

 I would really recommend this one for anyone who enjoys reading.

This is the 27th book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.
I gave this 5 stars on Goodreads because, for a book marketed at YA, it is exceptional.

No comments:

Post a Comment