Monday 18 May 2015

Bout of Books 13 Wrap Up

Bout of BooksIt is over - unfortunately. I knew when I signed up for this one, that I would not do anything startling. Work is just a bit hectic as the exams start next week, and all papers need to be finalised by Wednesday. For the only English teacher covering grades 9 through to 12, it means work, work, work and nothing else. But having said that, by Bout of Books 13 was not a complete disaster.

In all, I finished 3 books (ok, ok, ok, in all fairness, I had started 2 before the readathon began) and started 2 more. Here is the final wrap up!

Books completed:




The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker.  50-ish pages
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. 32 pages
Room by Emma Donoghue. 432 pages

Books started:


Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman. 86 pages (+ the intro)
Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith. 118 pages

Total: 718 pages


General thoughts:

Short stories actually do work well for me for readathons. I thought I would give it a try this time, and it was nice having something short to read when I eventually got to bed at night, especially something that I knew I could start and finish and not be a zombie the next day.

Room was brilliant. As soon as I have finalised the last 5 exam papers, I will write a review on that one. It is one of my favourite books of the year so far, especially as far as the execution of the story went.

Anyway, that is enough from me. Time to get back to work. (The story of my life....)




2 comments:

  1. I loved room too! I got to a point about a third of the way through and thought "this is going to get repetitive" but then the twist and the second half of the book was fascinating. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it! I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It could have been such a heavy book, but it wasn't. I also worried that it was going to get repetitive, but just as things were getting 'old' it changed.

      Delete