Tuesday 5 May 2015

April 2015 Wrap Up

Wow. April seems so long ago - or at least, the short holiday at the beginning of April seems a year away. Time can be cruel. Anyway, before even more time passes and I forget what I read, let me get on with this. (If I seem rather fuzzy, it is because my brain has been replaced with a snot-producing machine. It is far less effective.)

First of was Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith. I love this series so far. It follows Mma Ramotswe, a lady private detective in Botswana, who stated the Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. This book was another charming view of the lives of the main characters. The cast of characters is growing and I can only see good things for the future of this series. It gave me a good laugh and touched me.

Then, in completely the opposite direction, I read Snow White  Must Die by Nele Neuhaus. This is a crime novel set in Germany. It follows two detective, Pia Kirchhoff and Oliver von Bodenstein, as they solve the murder of a young girl. This is the second book I have read by Neuhaus this year, although this one preceded the other chronologically. It didn't spoil much reading them out of order though, so if you are interested in crime novels with a few twists in the plot, don't be too upset if you can't get them in order. I would not say they are the best examples of their genre out there, but if you happen to enjoy the same guilty pleasure as I do (a quick crime novel) then these are more than adequate.

Next up was Dodger by the late and great Terry Pratchet. As can be expected, this as an enjoyable read. It is, however, marketed as a children's book, which could lead to a few disappointments as I do not think many youngsters today would catch even half the allusions made in this book. I think it would go over many youngsters' heads. Having said that though, is it completely necessary to catch all the inside jokes to enjoy the story? I don't know. I know they made it more enjoyable. And who knows, maybe it could encourage a kid out there to find out about them. (Yes, denial is a wonderful place. Hermione was a fictitious character.)

While enjoying my holiday with my mom I read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells. This book was a disappointment for me. I was expecting something moving, though-provoking. Instead I felt I got cliched characters and a poor excuse for a character who behaved poorly. I think that, while forgiveness is necessary, the book would have meant more if the mother had claimed ownership for what she had done. Yes, yes, idealism all the way there. It doesn't happen in real life - which is probably why arguments linger without resolve. But I felt that her friends gave all the excuses for her. Anyway, I can feel a huge internal debate beginning in my sinus-addled brain, so I am just going to move on. I would love to know whether someone out there enjoyed this book, or saw something more in it than I did. (Oh, and what an insipid cover. It really is as washed out as the picture.)

Also started on holiday was 11.22.63 by Stephen King. This was a MASSIVE book. I picked it up for a yearly reading challenge I am doing - read a book with numbers in the title. I was not disappointed. Although I am sure that a lot could have been trimmed from the pages, the overall effect of reading this was a pleasant five-year journey into early 60s America. As a non-American, I found that there was a lot to be learnt in this book. I would definitely recommend this book, but perhaps not for impatient readers. There are parts where one could feel that the story could just get a move on.

Next up was my birthday haul book, Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. I really enjoyed this one. I murdered the book in under a day, and barely breathed through the last third of it. I found the duel focal points added to the suspense. Although not the 'typical' King book, I would recommend this one to fans of crime novels and thrillers.

Some time around this point I also finished reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller. This is the gazillionth time I have read this play since 2012, as it is one of the options for the Matric setwork books. I am constantly impressed with this play and the way in which the themes are portrayed. What is more disturbing is that the message of the play is still far too relevant in today's age where we should know better. I would recommend this to people who would like to arm themselves against the stupidity of society. Yes. There is a lot of stupidity in society.

And finally there was Winger by Andrew Smith. This is a YA book set in a boarding school, which covered the reading goal requirement of reading a book set in high school. Winger was a very hyped up book and I must admit that while I really did enjoy it, the 5 star rating it got from me was judging it as a YA book and not an overall representation of my feelings. There were some parts of this book that I absolutely admired and appreciated, and there were others that I could have happily done without. I do think it is a good book for teens to read though, so as soon as I get my budget from The Readathon last term, it is going into the basket for my school library.

Not completed in April


The Great Train Robbery. It is on my shelf behind my bed collecting dust. At least I actually contemplated picking it up in April. Meh.
I also started The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker which is going well and should be finished soon.
I am also near to completing (also for the gazillionth time) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee as the Grade 10 setwork book.

 Totals for April


Total completed: 8 books
Started: 2 books
Books cleared from TBR pile: 6 (This is for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.)
Books added to TBR pile: 9 (I am never going to get my TBR down at this rate!)

No comments:

Post a Comment