Sunday 1 January 2017

The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige

The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige is the second book in the Dorothy Must Die series. In other words, giving a synopsis is not really possible. All I will say is that it picks up exactly where the first book, Dorothy Must Die, ended.

I found this horribly disappointing. I read YA so that I can find books that will inspire the kids I teach to read. If I can barely keep my eyes open while reading something, it sure as hell won't pass for my dyslexic, Ritalin-dependant teens. In other words, very little happened. There was a lot of walking.

Once again, a book has been divided into three pieces so that readers will be forced to buy three books instead of just one. How do I know this? 
1. This isn't the size of Lord of the Rings where the size could make it a reasonable idea.
2. There is no individual story in either book - rather it is one continuation. 

I really hate feeling like I have been taken for a sucker by a publishing company. Considering the price of books in this country, I feel doubly pissed off. ZAR300! Three times (three books in the series)! That is almost ZAR1000! Which is about 10% of my salary. Is it worth it? Not a friggin chance in hell. Of course, this is not the first time I have been caught out on this. Which raises many questions. How far should a teacher go to encourage reading? It is the most important skill any person can acquire. Hunting for books for individuals should be a priority. But at that price? I just can't do it. Not with the way everything is just getting more and more expensive. But that is a rant for another place. Maybe publishers should start considering this too. It might also help eliminate the second book syndrome where ... duhduh daaaa ... nothing happens. Maybe it would save them money too. After all, I cannot be the first person who has been put off by a grotty second book.

I will not be continuing this series. And if I do, it will be because I borrowed it from someone. Two stars - and that was me being nice. (I have no idea why I was being nice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment