Tuesday 3 January 2017

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (2016 review catch ups)

I loved reading Rebecca, so when I found Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier at that whoppingly awesome book sale, I could not resist.

After Mary's mother passes away, Mary travels to Jamaica Inn to stay with her Aunt Patience and her husband. Along the way, she hears very bad things about the inn. What has this girl got herself in to? What has happened to her aunt?

Daphne du Maurier is skilled at creating atmosphere. I don't think I felt comfortable for the protagonist at any point in this story. From the weather, to subtle clues, I knew that things were going to go south - it was just a matter of how. I should also mention that the array of characters just added to the tension. All of them seemed flawed and most of them seemed dangerous. After Mary left the coach, I knew she had left safety.

“And, though there should be a world of difference between the smile of a man and the bared fangs of a wolf, with Joss Merlyn they were one and the same.”
― Daphne du Maurier, Jamaica Inn

The sexist comments took a bit of getting used to. Thank Merlin people no longer just assume women are useless, overly-sensitive, and half-stupid. But it is probably a good thing to see how far we have come from there. Just look at this quote:

“She put the steaming mutton down in front and he smacked his lips 'they taught you something where you came from, anyway,' he said. 'I always say there's two things women ought to do by instinct, and cookin's one of 'em.”
― Daphne du Maurier, Jamaica Inn

And while there was a lot of such commentary, I have to say that Mary was not the typical 'damsel in distress'. She wanted to work - hard labour, she was brave, and, although I am not yet sure what I make of this, she fought against conforming to the stereotypes. Put that way, it sounds a good thing. However, she would disparage at being a female, which ... I don't know. I probably would have too had I been around back then. I just don't like that thought process in the modern world.

Overall, a good read. If you like a slow burning thriller, then give this one a go. I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads. I will definitely be looking for more books by du Maurier. (In fact, I am wondering if she is popular in other parts of the world. I have never heard anyone (besides my mom) talk about her here at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment