Tuesday 3 January 2017

Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama (2016 review catch ups)

Who was not finding American politics interesting in 2016? By the time November arrived, I felt that I needed to learn even more. I stumbled across this at Jimmy's Secondhand Bookshop, and decided to give it a read. Maybe I would find some information right out of the horse's mouth.

Obama wrote Dreams from My Father long before he became president of the United States. The book is split into three sections: It follows his childhood (Origins), the beginning of his political interest (Chicago) and ends with him spending time with his father's family in Kenya (Kenya).

“My identity might begin with the fact of my race, but it didn't, couldn't end there. At least that's what I would choose to believe.”
― Barack Obama, Dreams from My Father

I found this an interesting read, even though it didn't really give me the information I was wanting (Not that that is the book's fault. It was written long before Obama ran for president.). I liked the unusual childhood Obama had. He did not attend renowned schools, but instead spent a few years with his mother in Indonesia - an experience that was nothing like the regular upbringing most westerners have. (At this point in the story, I was strongly reminded of Peekay's experiences in The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay.)

His view on Kenya and his family there and the stories they shared were really interesting. Coming from Africa myself, those stories fascinated me, because it was either something I could relate to, or showing a new perspective on something I had never considered before.

“This pleased Onyango, for to him knowledge was the source of all the white man's power, and he wanted to make sure that his son was as educated as any white man.”
― Barack Obama, Dreams from My Father

I also found his experiences in America interesting too. As I don't come from the US, my general understanding of the culture is very Hollywood-ish (or what is in the news - but headlines barely give one a decent feeling). Reading his experiences and views added a different feeling, and I think I have learnt something.

“All too rarely do I hear people asking just what it is that we've done to make so many children's hearts so hard, or what collectively we might do to right their moral compass - what values we must live by.”
― Barack Obama, Dreams from My Father


I could hear Obama's voice narrating this in my head. I think that is a good compliment. It made me feel that this was a more honest account, not a pretentious attempt to impress. There was character in here too. The style matched fiction, with imagery, humour and detail. I must admit that I was nervous picking this up. I had fears that it would read something like a parliamentary speech. It didn't.

Besides the obvious target audience, I would recommend this to people who would like more exposure to racial issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment