Friday 1 January 2016

Favourites Reads of 2015


ONE HUNDRED AND TEN BOOKS. I am really happy with that total. 


This is not generally a genre I read, so I am pleased that I have read some books that qualify this year. To be honest, I only labeled one horror, but another could have qualified, although I put it down as apocalyptic. But the winner in this category is Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin. This one was freaky because everything that would normally give one a sense of security, did not. It was not a difficult book to read and it went quickly. If horror is not normally your thing and you are wanting to branch out, then possibly consider this one.

I have said in the past that I cut my teeth on crime novels. This year I did something new though. I read crime novels from Europe. It made a nice change, seeing different procedures. I also found it refreshing to have authors I hadn't read before as I am not yet that familiar with their styles, so I didn't find myself solving the crime half way into the novel.Choosing a favourite is tough, so I am going to start with some worthy and honourable mentions. Sister by Rosamund Lupton was not only an interesting mystery, but a very well written book. Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz was a blast. Never have I been taken by such surprise while reading a crime novel. I suppose I am in good company at least. The number one spot though, has to be (and excuse the cheat here), The Millenium Series by Stieg Larsson. I read the trilogy in three days because I couldn't put them down. I enjoyed the characters and I loved the pacing. The mystery, especially in the first book, was gripping and thrilling.


I cannot discuss my favourite reads of the year without mentioning Gillian Flynn. Anything by Gillian Flynn should really get stuck on a shelf labelled 'sick and twisted'. I decided to put her on a thriller shelf. Although her books are still about crime, they don't follow the investigator trying to solve it. It is difficult trying to choose my favourite of the two I read this year. I gave both of them 4 stars. Maybe I am just going to cheat again and just recommend them both. Dark Places did have a slow patch, although the ending made up for it. The puzzle had me intrigued and the characters were insane. Sharp Objects had such an interesting twist on cutting and also had a good puzzle.


I didn't read as much fantasy as I usually do this year. There are far too many books I am waiting for, either to start a series or to continue a series. But there were some definite stand outs. Some worthy mentions are: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. But if those were only the runners up, what could possibly be considered better? The first I have to mention is The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente. There were so many gems in this book. Although I think this might be considered a children's book, there is a lot for adult readers too. A definite must read. Next up, I am going to talk about The Mistborn Series by Brandon Sanderson. The concept was applaudable. What a well-developed magic system. This was another trilogy that I devoured in three days. Brilliant!


 I am not a fan of romance; I will be honest. The fact that I actually had a choice of two for this position is unusual. The Book of Lost and Found by Lucy Foley is a book I enjoyed for the most part. If you have read this book, you will know that it is not a regular romance story. In some ways, it is the opposite of a romance. I enjoyed the story of the grandparents the most, but could have gladly skipped the present day romance. What I found unusual and very effective was that the story in the past was told in the present tense, while the modern story was written in the past.

As with horror, this is not a genre I read a lot of. After this year, I think that might change. I can't choose between my two favourites. First up is The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. This story was a ride. It brought back memories of late nights at university, sitting and talking philosophy. I found the story well-constructed and I respected North's intelligent approach, not only to dialogue between two characters particularly, but to the story as a whole. Next up is The Martin by Andy Weir. What can I say about this book that hasn't been said before. I think the most important thing is that this was fun to read. The humour in this kept me turning the pages as much as the suspense did. The science was fascinating and added to the story. It did not come across as an attempt for Weir to show off his knowledge, but really added to the story.


I have not been in the mood for YA this year. Over the past few years, YA was the genre I read the most because I was mentally stocking my non-existent school library with books. Now that I have my library up and running, stocked with some great YA reads, I have given myself a break from reading that genre and spoilt myself with adult stories and more challenging reads. I did have some books left over from last year though, that I hadn't got to; and there were a few that I wanted to read and managed to get my hands on them. Anyway, enough with the introduction, let me get on with it. To start, some honourable mentions. Winger by Andrew Smith covered some important topics. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart was also an interesting read, although I think it might have suffered from the hype. Vivian Versus the Apocalypse by Katie Coyle was another enjoyable read that had me laughing in places. My first favourite YA read for the year is Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. This was a hilarious satire and had me in stitches. I think Libba Bray is another intelligent writer. If you have read Lord of the Flies by William Golding, you should give this a read. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky was the second of my favourite YA reads. This one had mature themes and some great friendships although one could probably debate the pros and cons of it as their were some dodgy things happening.


I did not read a ton of children's books. There is only one contender, but it is a good one. Fortunately, the Milk . . . by Neil Gaiman was a quick pleasant read. There were elements in the story that I think a parent, reading it to their children, would appreciate too. It is what I would expect from a Neil Gaiman book. Clever, surprising and fun.

I find that if I read Middle Grade books, I prefer those that fall on the border between Middle Grade and YA. The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan is a worthy mention from the very small selection of these books I read. They were fun and action packed and I think they are a good choice for young readers. My favourite though was The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares. I thought this was a nice portrayal of friendship between girls. I liked the use of the symbolism of the pants and how, by passing it between them, they managed to find courage and strength that they would normally get from their friends. The book also covered mature themes, which I appreciated.


I consider contemporary to be realistic stories set in a modern time. Although I never would have thought this was my favourite genre, you will find all my favourite reads of 2015 in here. Maybe I need to rethink what I consider my favourite genre to be. But, heading back to the books... I do not know how to choose my favourite book for this category. I know I have cheated for a few categories already, but... this one is going to have to have one hell of a cheat. Here are the books I loved that I put in this category. The Secret History by Donna Tartt probably comes in at the bottom of the loved list, not that that is a knock on the book. Once again, this was a pleasant journey back to my university days. I loved the language in this book. Next up is Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller. This was a ride, jumping from the present to the past. It kept me wondering what had happened. No an Me by Delphine De Vegan raised some poignant questions about society. I loved the characters in this book. By the time I got to the end, I felt I was saying goodbye to some friends. The Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith was a wonderful trip 'home'. No, I don't live in Botswana, but I am next door. We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver was bone chilling, terrifying and unforgettable. Room by Emma Donoghue freaked me out. I thought she approached this book brilliantly. Had she chosen any other narrator, it would have lost so much charm and impact because it would have become an intensely heavy book. Good choices, great execution. My second favourite is 2a.m. at The Cat's Pajamas by Marie-Helene Bertino. I can't say how much I loved reading this book. I loved the way it was written, and I loved how Bertino made me fall in love and care about unlikeable characters. My favourite book is A Man Called Ove. This was a rollercoaster of an emotional ride. One minute I was wanting to cry, the next I was laughing. Besides that, the book had charm. I adored this book, I adored Ove. I can't say there was anything I would have wanted different. I think this was my favourite book of the year if I had to be honest.



 I have read quite a few Apocalyptic and Dystopian novels. I have merged these two because I have a limit as to the number of categories I have in my database for the books I have read. That should not be a problem next year. So let me start with dystopian. I have to mention Animal Farm by George Orwell. It is one of the setwork books I have to teach. How can I not appreciate what went on in it after teaching it for 3 years. But, that is a work-read, not a fun read, so I am going to move on. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood horrified me and made me glad that I am not living in a country where women have no rights. My favourite dystopian is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Magnificently written and chilling. As a book lover, this could have qualified as a horror! This book illustrates the importance of fighting against censorship. A must read for a book lover.

My favourite apocalyptic books! First up, there was World War Z by Max Brooks. This was such an interesting commentary on different countries. I don't think this is a book for someone wanting a fast, action-packed ride blowing off zombie heads. But it is a fascinating read as far as political commentary goes. An intelligent read. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel was a surprisingly enjoyable read. I liked her interpretation of how the world would slowly recover from an apocalypse. Then there was The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey. This was refreshing, unusual and a really enjoyable read. I liked the diversity of the different areas covered (Nope, I am not meaning diverse in the context used in reading circles, but in a more literal interpretation. The book covered everything from gun use to medical information and biology.).


 This is another genre that I generally don't go out of my way to read. But, I am surprised to see how many I accidentally picked up. Some of the books mentioned above could also be filed in here, but, for now, I am going to mention different books.  How to Be Both by Ali Smith was a different book to what I usually read. I found the set up fascinating and look forward to rereading it in the future - backwards. Perhaps it is a bit soon to classify Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer as historical fiction. There is a huge part that had to do with World War 2, so I think I can justify my actions. This book had some unusual pages that had me intrigued. I also liked the characters. I was taken on an emotional ride for this one, having lost my own father not too long ago.


My favourite non-fiction is The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer. I think this book is a valuable read for anyone. It has advice for artists, not with regards to the creative process, but with responding to fans and to actually asking for help. There is such a negative stigma attached to asking for help, but Amanda Palmer shows how asking for help is just a part of the cycle of giving and receiving. And then there is the story of how she met and married Neil Gaiman.

No comments:

Post a Comment