Saturday 26 March 2016

NY-Times By the Book Tag

 I found this tag on Youtube and, although some of the questions are similar to other tags I have seen (and done) there was one in particular that got me thinking. You can find the original tag by Marie Berg here.


1. What book is on your nightstand now?



These are the books that I really want to get to soon, so I keep them within arms reach. If what I am reading is not keeping me turning pages, all I do is stretch out my arm and find something else. If you want to know what I am reading at the moment, it is The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt - a title that just does not roll off the tongue.

2. What was the last truly great book that you read?

Ouch! A toss up between The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James or Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I gave all 3 five stars. I think, just by looking at these, that I think the best written (and the one I admire the most) is A Brief History of Seven Killings. That one was mind blowing! Not only was it superbly constructed, but it kept me turning pages, just loving it.

Picture from here

3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know?

Neil Gaiman. Can I have your brain?
Ok, I suppose you want something a bit more serious. All right. I would still choose Neil Gaiman. I love the man's voice. I also think he is incredibly intelligent. I don't know if there is anything specifically I would ask him, because I have followed every interview I can see with him in on Youtube and all the obvious questions have been covered. I would just like to bask in his wisdom and presence for a while, soaking in whatever he had to say. He is much wiser than me, so he can pick the topic.


4. What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?

Probably the cookbooks. Hell freezes over before I venture into the unholy grounds of the kitchen. If you are talking about fiction, probably my almost complete collection of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. Come now. Every gal out there would like a Jack Reacher in their corner. (I find these pleasantly predictable. When I am in the mood for some no-IQ required, numbing action, these are perfect.)

5. How do you organize your personal library?

From A - Z according to author's surname. Original, I know!
Beyond that, I have fiction on my wall. My poetry, Shakespeare, textbooks, recipe books, and other non-fiction including memoir and autobiography are on my 6 foot book cases. Surprisingly, they are also shelved alphabetically (mostly).


6. What book have you always meant to read and haven’t got around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?

Up until last week (or the week before) it was Wuthering Heights. At the moment, I am not so sure. Time will tell if I eventually start to feel guilty over another. For now, I am happy. Wait. I should probably read more by South African authors. Yes, it becomes very tricky when someone from another continent asks for a recommendation on African books, and I sit there, realising that I have read pretty much the same amount as they have. OK. Thanks tag. I now have something to feel embarrassed about again.

7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didn't? Do you remember the last book you put down without finishing?

For a book that I was supposed to like but didn't, I will go with The Child Thief by Brom. Great idea, poorly executed. But you can read my wrap up to get that whole story again. Overrated books are trickier, because there are so many. Take Cassandra Clare for example. I had heard great things about her Infernal Devices series. Hell, I even bought them to read during the school readathon - big books, lots of pages, supposedly good books, should read quickly, right? Meh. I gave them away for nothing afterwards. And no, I cannot remember which book I DNFed last. It doesn't happen often as books cost a fortune here.



8. What kinds of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?

I am drawn to most works of fiction. If it sounds interesting, I will read it. I think I am in another transition phase in my reading, so at the moment, I am prepared to pick up pretty much anything while I discover my new niche. I still enjoy crime novels, and I enjoy a faster-paced plot.But I am finding poorly written books less satisfying, even if the plot is good. Having said that, I will still stay clear of Christian fiction and erotic novels. Oh, and I am not a big reader of romance either.


9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be?


And this is the question that got me to do this tag! We are assuming he can read this with Grade 6 education. I would choose Animal Farm by George Orwell. Why? Hopefully the message of the consequences of corruption will sink in. Maybe he will realise what he is doing to the people of this country while he is sitting in his home that cost us R246 MILLION. Maybe he will see Napoleon in himself and change his ways - start looking out for the people instead of milking them for everything while he and his fellow pigs wallow in luxury. But, chances are that he will just make sure that it never becomes a matric setwork again, to try and prevent the youth from reading it and seeing him for what he is - a pig, in the Orwellian sense.
In addition, a good LGBTQ book might help improve his understanding on those issues to prevent him from publicly saying such things as: "When I was growing up, an ungqingili (a homosexual) would not have stood in front of me. I would knock him out." I have yet to come across one that I think would be powerful enough to educate him though. Any recommendations?
You know what, I think I would just like to get him to read. Maybe some wisdom would seep in somewhere. Anything would be an improvement.

10. What do you plan to read next?

Any one of the books on my 'nightstand' or one of those on my TBR shelf on Goodreads. I have a lot to choose from. EEK! I am feeling inclined to either read Ripper by Isabel Allende, or to use my holiday to read a fantasy series - something like The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, or The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. The holidays are the best time for fantasy reading for me, as I don't have to prep lessons (or be up early) so I can read for hours on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment