Wednesday 9 March 2016

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

And my quest to find something light continues! Wow, but work is actually a huge determiner of what I am in the mood for; or perhaps it determines what I feel I can mentally deal with. Knowing that Inkheart was a children's book, I figured this one would be manageable with my current work load. Oh, and according to my reading stats for 2016, I am in desperate need to increase the number of female authors I have read, and some other country besides the obvious two. This one ticked both those boxes!

Meggie has grown up surrounded by books. She is in bed one night when a strange man arrives at their house. The news that he brings will change everything and lead Meggie into a terrifying adventure with her father and aunt. But where is her mother? Who is this man who terrifies her father and this strange man? There are a lot of questions that need some answers.

I enjoyed the story and I enjoyed the writing. A part of me did feel that it was a bit long-winded in getting to the plot. The synopsis on the back of my copy only applied after chapter 16. Seriously! That is a whole lot of reading when you know what is to happen. In fact, I will confess that it ruined a lot of the suspense and had me yawning until I got beyond that.

The story line was interesting though. I think all readers would 'like' to be able to do what some people in this book can do - although, with luck we would know better. I liked the characters. Oddly enough, I liked the grumpy old aunt the best.

I am curious to know what the next two books are about. I would like to see what happens to these characters. I think I will save them or another time when I need a good break from literature or school.

I suppose if I am being honest, I am not exactly the demographic for this one. But it was enjoyable. I think if one were to choose a fairytale-ish book to read, I would recommend The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her own Making by Catherynne M. Valente more. It has a lot more concepts appropriate for adults and the imagery and writing is a bit more superior. For what I wanted though, this was perfect.  I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment