Friday 11 March 2016

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, Jay Rubin (Translator)

Work is still insane. I was hoping (perhaps unfairly) that this one would help put me to sleep at night. It didn't. Which I suppose says something good about the book.

This is a coming of age story of a Japanese young man, Toru Watanabe. It starts with Toru at university. Over the course of the book, we learn about a friend in his youth, and the effects that his friend's decision had on himself (Toru) and his friend's girlfriend, Naoko. We also meet some interesting characters as Toru grows.

I was really expecting this one to be a lot more complicated than it was. I had heard that 'there is a place to start with Murakami' and 'it is not for everyone'. Well, no book is 'for everyone'. But anyway, that had given me the impression that this was going to be a tough read. It wasn't. If you are put off from Murakami, that is not the reason you should choose. This is, however, a book where not a lot happens. Yes, I still found the pages turning quickly, and I did want to know what happened, but it wasn't a gripping story with earth-shattering ideas and unexplored concepts. I did think it was interesting seeing how mental health issues were treated in a different country (or at least, in a different country a long time ago). But as a whole, I will say that although I enjoyed the main character, I found him unbelievable. I think he was far to perfect. I doubt there is a human on this planet as understanding and as selfless as he was.

On the other hand, I can't say I was fond of the way women were portrayed in this. The majority of the women came across as some form of the manic pixie dream girl. Yes, they were a bit more fleshed out, had bit more of a backstory, but even then, something was off - and I just can't put my finger on it. (Maybe it is that they felt a bit like exaggerations?) Some of Midori's ideas left me thinking she was bloody nuts. Oh, and don't get me started on the dubious lesbian sex scene which defied all logic. How can someone not know they are being undressed? How can one just realise, poof, my clothes are gone?

I think what I am really trying to say is that I approached this book with really high expectations. After everything I had heard, I really thought this was going to blow my mind - or at least develop it. It was good, it was interesting, but it was disappointing after all the hype I had heard about it. I suppose expectations always have a lot to do with ratings. As a result, this only got 3 stars from me. It wasn't bad. It was interesting. I just wanted more from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment