Saturday 1 August 2015

Unhaul Number ONE

I never get rid of books. You might have noticed that if you saw my one bookcase. (There are still more.) But having put up my amazing and awesome bookcase (I swear I am never moving), I have books that I do not want on display. Some I have stashed in sealed plastic boxes under my bed (in case I ever have kids one day). Others I just can't see myself ever wanting to read again. This has lead to my first ever proper book unhaul. (Occasionally I have been known to give books I really don't like to second hand bookshops.) I have bought all of these books in the quest to find books for reluctant readers to try and get them into reading. It is something I have been working on for years and I have a huge list of books that kids might enjoy.

The first things to go were my Robert Muchamores. I bought these to read when I was trying to find books specifically to encourage reluctant teen boys to read. I read them and will never reread them.  They are great for kids, especially in their early to mid teens, but for me, well, I could be a teen's parent. I can't say that I am all that interested. I would rather fill that shelf space with books I love, and not just books I have read, So these go!



Then I decided to get rid of the Bear Grylls books. These would be better suited to weaker readers. The stories are fast and action packed, but the language is not complicated. They might also come in handy if that zombie apocalypse arrives!


Next on the list was Daniel X by James Patterson and Payback by Andy McNab. What can I say? I don't like James Patterson, and I have far too much oestrogen to enjoy Andy McNab.


Then there are also duplicates of things like Sherlock Holmes - books that I had bought in second hand bookshops and were really scruffy but within my budget in those days. I have since acquired complete works of both the short stories and novels and no longer need these eye-sores on my shelves. There are also loads of old books that people have given me because they hear I like reading: books without covers, books with dodgy titles... yeah... books I will never read. I am not even going to bother about finding pictures of them. Suffice to say that a few have naked women on the covers (with well-placed shadows.) I think they are actually crime novels, but, meh. Not interested in those covers at all!

And then, I am giving ALL my Cassandra Clare books to a parent at school. She has had such a run of bad luck, and her daughter's birthday is coming up. I said I would give her my CCs for her to give to her daughter (she has been wanting to read them). My books do not even look like they have been opened, let alone read, so she won't know that they aren't new. And then I won't look at them on my shelves and cringe about how much money I wasted on them. They will be going to a good home, with the right demographic and will be loved. So, toodles to:



 I am also wanting to get rid of the Starcrossed books by Josephine Angelini. I actually didn't buy these for YA reads for school, but because I had heard a podcast on Geekson with the author and it sounded like it would be far more advanced than it was. In the end I finished buying the series because I was curious to know how it ended, nothing more. The writing actually bugged me with this series - which is rare, as I tend to get so wrapped up in what I am reading that I usually never notice it beyond the first page.


 And then, to finish off, I am getting rid of books 2 and 3 from The Lorien Legacies series. I might keep book 1, I am Number Four, for now, as it did spark off an idea for a novel I could write during nano. But, as with the other books mentioned here, I will never reread them. I also found the writing a bit annoying in this. I might still change my mind about book 2, just because it is absolutely gorgeous and I have it in hard cover. But, to be honest, I will never read it again.


So, this is less an unhauling and more a purge of YA. I will read YA electronically from now on, and save buying hard copies of books I love and want to keep. Although I will continue my project to find books to make kids love reading, I also want my reading to be for my benefit and not purely for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment