Sunday 23 August 2015

Book Haul 001

I don't usually post about book hauls, because they would make me feel a bit guilty (I like buying books). But as I finally got off my backside and delivered my HUGE pile of unwanted books (if you are curious, you can see the post that I made about those books that were going here) to the second hand bookshop, I feel less guilty. Added to that is the wonderful fact that the owner and I did a swap. I didn't pay a cent, he didn't pay a cent. It was pretty awesome.

On top is The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje. While this book wasn't on my want to read list (which has now grown to 4 pages, types in size 9 Calibri) I had heard about this book and seen the movie. In other words, I was curious. Therefore I bought it. If I don't enjoy it, I can always return it.

Next up is Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. At 'varsity I only studied To the Lighthouse by Woolf and I am curious to read some more of her works. Plus, there have been some interesting discussions about her on Booktube. I was a bit disappointed that someone had taken yellow highlighter to this book, but as I technically didn't pay for it, I suppose it is the best deal I will ever get.

Then it is Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Always been curious about this one, plus, whoever had this book either reads like I do (doesn't damage it) or never opened it. The only Tolstoy I have read was The Death of Ivan Ilych and I really enjoyed that. I figured I would try one of his most popular works.

Fourth in the pile is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. To be honest, the book I really want to read from this author is Everything Is Illuminated but it wasn't there, so I settled for this one. It is also in good condition, so no worries there.

Jen Campbell has spoken extremely highly of Michel Faber's works. The other books don't really interest me as there is a strong Christian theme in them (although Jen says they are not preachy books), but I thought I would give this one, The Crimson Petal and the White, a try first. If I love his writing style, I can always get more.

I then got No and Me by Delphine de Vigan. This book was originally written in French. I have heard many mixed reviews about this one, but I am curious to make up my own mind. It is an award winning book, so there should be something, somewhere, that I can enjoy.

The final book I got was I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. I have taught Angelou's poetry for years, and I would like to learn more about her.



No comments:

Post a Comment