Friday 25 December 2015

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

I had heard about this book years ago, and had been hunting for it ever since. I eventually decided to give the audio book a chance while I wait for this elusive book to pitch up somewhere on a shelf where I can buy it.

Offred was not originally her name. She was given this name. In the past she had a different name, was married and had a daughter. All of that has been taken away from her, including her job, her money, her rights - everything. She may not even read. Now Offred is a handmaid. In a world where the birthrate is alarmingly low, it is her duty to fall pregnant and give the family she is currently staying with a baby. As a synopsis, it is sufficient, but it really does not capture the essence of the story.

I have sat here for fifteen minutes with only the first two paragraphs written. What does one say about this book? There is so much to say, and that makes it a daunting task. Ordering my thoughts into some form of structure, eliminating the less relevant parts (after all, I am not writing an essay on this for university) and cutting it into what you, the reader, would like to hear... I don't even know where to start.

Perhaps a brief explanation about myself. I am a feminist and I am an atheist. In other words, if you want to watch me roll around in agony, make me read Milton's Paradise Lost. I OBJECT to the idea that women are responsible for the fall of mankind. OK, soapbox has been kicked under the bed - for now. With luck it will stay there. Actually, bugger that notion. I am a woman and I have a mind of my own. I was not born to please anyone. I will have my say because, if nothing else, Offred and all the other handmaidens didn't - a reminder that while we have voices, we should use them, in case one day, someone tries to take it away from us.

This book provides a shocking look into a theocracy, a theocracy where women are reduced to breeding stock, they are covered from head to toe because "to be seen is to be penetrated", people who disagree with the theocratic system are execute publicly. Folks who say that this could so easily happen have missed a few news broadcasts - it is happening. Some women - although not performing the role of the handmaidens (that is still the wife's job) are living something very close to this. Now. Today. That Atwood sets this in the USA is what really is shocking to us. It is the land of the free. Even in Africa we are brainwashed with American TV to the point that I can honestly say that her choice of setting hits close to home.

“Better never means better for everyone... It always means worse, for some.”
― Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

If you are looking for a plot driven, pacey novel, you will be disappointed. This narrative, while not boring, is a meandering journey through Offred's life. We see her day to day routines and we have flashbacks of her past. How this change came to be is revealed slowly, in fact, everything is revealed slowly, tantalisingly, forcing one to turn the page to see what happens next or to learn how it happened. I loved the narrative voice in this. The descriptions were pleasing, and even though the book and topic it covers is very dark, there were moments where humour peaked through. For instance when she is discussing the compulsory outfits they are to wear and mentions that some people call them habits, and then agrees that it is a good name because 'habits are hard to break'.

One of the parts that I appreciated the most though was the 'Historical Notes' at the end. It raised a ton of questions for me, and put an entirely different perspective on the story. It was that part that bumped the novel from a 4 star rating to a 5.

“Truly amazing, what people can get used to, as long as there are a few compensations.”
― Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Overall, this book made me cringe. I appreciated that Atwood did not shy away from things. I felt her account, even though of a fictitious 'world' was realistic. Perhaps that is the other part that makes this such a shocking and disturbing book to read - it feels real.

 There really is so much that could be discussed in this. Perhaps it would be a good choice for a feminist book club - or a regular book club because men need to see the other side of the picture too. It could also be interesting to get their input too (because, let's face it, most women will have a similar response to this one. I can't see many agreeing that this is a good thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment