Monday 21 December 2015

Never End by Åke Edwardson

I am sure you have heard this, in one form or another: This is the next Harry Potter, the next Hunger Games... In this case, I was told this book was "the next Stieg Larsson". While I can't say I fall for this gimmick any more, I still find myself disappointed at the end. I think it is because, even though I really try not to compare the books, I just can't help it. 

Five years ago, a young woman was raped and murdered. The case was never solved.  Now, it looks like it is starting again. 

Now, this book was not bad. But it was nothing special either, in my opinion. I did like how unpredictable it was; and although at the time, I felt a lot of the personal information regarding the investigating officers was unnecessary, I did appreciate how it made me root for them. But having said that, I can't say that I actually cared for them, particularly Chief Inspector Winter, the main protagonist. (Oh, you want a confusing surname? Try that one when paging through photos of different seasons.)

I liked that Edwardson did not waste time with unnecessary information during interviews with suspects etc. Some of the dialogue did get a bit confusing to follow though, as it didn't state who was saying each line. Fine for a short dialogue, but it can get a bit confusing when it is over a page long. The writing did keep the pace moving, and as I said, it wasn't bogged down with copious amounts of information. I think the book was well planned.

I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads because I felt it was OK. I liked it, but if it is anything to go on, I have already flogged this book at the second hand book shop for others I am more interested in reading (and hopefully keeping).

No comments:

Post a Comment