Wednesday 2 December 2015

Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller

I picked this one up because I like the sound of it from one of Jen Campbell's reviews on Booktube. The review alone had me asking questions and wondering what happened.

When Peggy is 8-years-old, her father takes her to a hut in the middle of nowhere and tells her that the rest of the world has come to an end, that it is just the two of them left. Nine years later, Peggy returns home. What happened?

I finished this at 2 in the morning and I spent the rest of the following day thinking about it.

The writing was effortless to read, and I really enjoyed how the switch in the timeline only added to my need to know what had happened. There are some really dark undertones to this story, (sorry, but I can't say what, as it will be a spoiler), but be warned. If you want a happy-go-lucky story, then this is not going to be the one for you.

I really enjoyed the characters - or to be more exact, I enjoyed how the characters were depicted. Punzel/Peggy was a surprisingly strong young girl, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her and seeing the world through her eyes. Her father though, hmmm, I really enjoyed how the reader could see the cracks forming. I always like having to read between the lines.

Oh, and I loved the theme of the piano. I always love books that have piano playing in them.

This is definitely a book I will reread one day. I think this is one of those books that a reread will reveal so much more than the first read could. There really is a lot to take in.

I gave this one 4 stars on Goodreads, but it might go up in time when I reread it.

No comments:

Post a Comment