Saturday 26 December 2015

A - Z bookish survey book tag

I should technically be sitting here writing two book reviews, compiling my top books of 2015 (How? HOW does one do that?), formulating my goals for 2016, and of course, trying to see how many books I can read in the last 5 days of December. But of course, it is Christmas, I am stuffed, a bit well-wined and a touch lazy and all of that sounds like hard work. So I am going to procrastinate by doing a bookish tag. If not, why not? This tag was originally created by The Perpetual Page-turner way back in 2013.

A - author you’ve read the most books from

And I am stumped on the first question. According to Goodreads it is a three-way tie between Kathy Reichs, Anthony Horowitz and Terry Pratchett with a total of 21 books each. But... Goodreads does not have my entire reading history. I never bothered to mention on there that I have read almost everything written by Enid Blyton, nor everything Hardy Boys up until about 1996. So I am just leaving it at that. I don't know.

B - best sequel ever

Hmmm... Why did I think this would be easier than writing a review or two? Sequels are usually tough. They are the bridging books - the one that works up to the climax, the third book (if we are talking trilogies). So as a general rule, I can't say that I like sequels often. Only one comes to mind really, The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum. I have read that multiple times and loved it on all occasions.

C - currently reading

Yay! An easy one. The Accidental by Ali Smith, A Slip of the Keyboard by Terry Pratchett and The Complete Illustrated Short Stories of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (which I started in 2014 and should really actually get a move on with it).

D - drink of choice while reading

Coffee


E - e-reader or physical book

I love my physical books. If I had to work overseas again doing the EFL thing, I might consider the e-book route, just because I know from experience that lugging ALL 6 Harry Potter books (DH had not come out yet) to another country and back is actually not the best idea I ever had - although I loved having my books with me.

F - fictional character you probably would’ve dated in high school

Since it is High School we are talking about, I will mention my fictitious high school crush - Joe Hardy. (YA did not exist when I was in high school. I loved the Hardy Boys because it was light, fun, fast and relaxing. The other books I read were regular adult books. I would have thrived had I been a teen today. The choices!) I have a feeling that the question related to me now though, and as I am old enough to be a parent, sans a scandal to a teenager in high school, I just don't see characters in that age group in that light.

G - glad you gave this book a chance

I am stuck again, and this is because of the list of books I could give here. You see, while I do a lot of my book selecting from Booktube, I also just rely on strangers in bookshops, my bookseller, the cover art and occasionally that feeling of "Hey, I think I have heard of that. Can't remember what I've heard, but it really sounds familiar" to help me select the next book. As a result, I have given loads of books chances when I normally would not have. Books that pop into mind: Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett (it was the beginning of that love affair), Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (it was a gazillion times better than I could have ever expected. Bloody awesome!), The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency by Andrew McCall Smith, The Girl with all the Gifts by MR Carey. The tip of the iceberg though. I could list hundreds here.



H - hidden gem

I am going to go with A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman and translated by Henning Koch. This was not just beautifully written, about interesting characters, but had charm. Months later, I still feel all gooey inside thinking about this book.

I - important moment in your reading life

Errr... Learning to read? Getting my first library card? Earning my first (and subsequent) pay cheques so that I could buy my own books? My reading life started when I was 5-years-old and has never really stopped.


J - just finished

Today I finished The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North and The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares.

K - kind of book you won’t read

Erotica or Christian Fiction. Just not interested. Romance is also high up in that category.

L - longest book you’ve read

I think that would be (and if you have read any of my recent past posts you will know this one) Stephen King's The Stand at 1440 pages (plus the preface which has roman numerals)


M - major book hangover because of

Harry Potter. For years I sat and reread them, and reread them, and reread them. I could not bring myself to read anything else. I NEEDED to know what happened next, I was determined to find every clue that had ever been mentioned (intentionally or not). Yeah, I was a bit obsessed - which is why I took the books to South Korea with me when a e-book would have been fine. No other book held me as captivated.


N - number of bookshelves you own

Geez! 24 + 8 +1 = 33 (and those are the one's that have books on.) I also have 3 crates of my childhood books.


O - one book you’ve read multiple times

You mean besides Harry Potter or the prescribed setworks at school? The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay.

P - preferred place to read

Either my bed at night or the lazy boy during the day. If it is a glorious day outside, I might go out there, but I need an umbrella and the wind must NOT be blowing.

Q - quote that inspires you

Inspires might be a stretch, but 'makes me think' - most definitely!
“No army has ever marched into battle thinking that the Creator had sided with their enemy.”
― Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule


R - reading regrets

Maybe that I could have spent a bit more time doing outdoorsy things instead of reading when I was a kid. But it isn't really a regret. Just a subtle observation that is then mocked and ignored.


S - series you’ve started and need to finish

Well now. That depends if dear old Mr Martin would like to continue putting words down. I would also like a few more installments by Brandon Sanderson - but at least there are no issues about his rate of productivity.


T - three of your all time favourite books

Yip! Reviewing the books I finished today would have been much easier. To narrow it down to three... All right. Let's go with: Zorro by Isabelle Allende, 2am at the Cat's Pajamas by Marie-Helene Bertino and Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.


U - unapologetic fangirl

Neil Gaiman. Especially if he is reading it.

V - very excited for this release more than the others

Oddly enough, for a change, I don't have a book I am enthusiastically waiting for. Well, perhaps the third book in The Kingkiller Chronicles, but who knows when that will be.


W - worst bookish habit

I can't say that I have any. Although some people think I am a bit daft keeping them as new as possible.


X - x marks the spot: pick the 27th book from the top left shelf

Empire of the Sun by J.G. Ballard. An unforgivable statement, but I think I preferred the movie. Christian Bale was brilliant in it.

Y - your latest purchase

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. I thought I would give him a try.


Z - z snatcher - book that kept you up way too late

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. But to be honest, every book has that point of no return. If I pass that point at night, I will not be getting much sleep because I know I will not be able to put it down. The Way of Shadows and the rest of the trilogy by Brent Weeks is a prime example.

Coming soon: Two more book reviews (at least - I hope); two wrap-ups, one of December and one of 2015 including my favourite reads of the year; and possible plans for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment