Saturday 5 November 2016

The Year of the Flood and MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood

I read Oryx and Crake, according to my records, exactly one year ago - or (which is probably more important for the point I am going to try and make) 130 books ago. In other words, I knew the plot, I remembered (surprisingly for me) the characters names - well the main three. But, my memory was not good enough to take me into The Year of the Flood.

Once again, I am going to review books together. It seems a good idea with series.

The Year of the Flood


Margaret Atwood is a genius.

Because I read Oryx and Crake over a year ago, it took a while for me to join this story with that one. I was past the half way mark when a few pieces fell into place and I hit Google to confirm my suspicions. I thought the book would continue where Oryx and Crake left off. How wrong I was.

This story is an eerie prediction (or perhaps hyperbolic prediction) of what could happen if science is left unchecked. Already, so much of what happens in the real world was shown here: the extremes people will go to to look beautiful, the genetic modification of food (we are at least still sticking to plants - from what I know at least) etc. But while this book is set in a scientifically advanced future, it does not seem that distant - possibly because it does not take a huge stretch of the imagination to get there, or because Atwood captures human nature so well, that nothing seems foreign. What was also brilliantly done was that there was no 'one side that was completely good' or 'completely bad' (with the exception of the painballers - but then, that made sense too).

I had a good laugh when I read that Rachel Carson had been made a saint. I must go back and look up the other saints that I didn't catch.

I gave this 5 stars on Goodreads.

I learnt from my mistake and  picked up MaddAddam immediately. I didn't want to spend my time trying to figure out what happened again.


MaddAddam


MaddAddam is an extremely well-balanced story of delightful humour, absolute horrors, total innocence and well-seasoned experience. I laughed heartily in places, cringed in others; but overall, had to admire the complexity of what Margaret Atwood managed to put together into a mere 394 pages.

Although this is the third book in the MaddAddam trilogy, I think it can be read as a standalone. It reads differently to its predecessors, for which I was happy - not that I have anything against Oryx and Crake or The Year of the Flood. MaddAddam just read so much more easily. The first two books build the world and the characters; MaddAddam explores 'what happened next'. Perhaps that is why I enjoyed it more too.

Margaret Atwood has an amazing imagination. I ended up loving the Crakers, even though my initial impressions were less than positive. But the part I loved the most were when Toby told the Crackers stories.

I could go on and on. If dystopian or apocalyptic stories are your thing, and you appreciate really good writing, I would recommend this one. I gave this 5 stars too.

No comments:

Post a Comment