Thursday 24 November 2016

The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith

Another one of my 50c finds at the School Feeding Fund's book sale.

Tom Ripley has not had an easy life. He was orphaned as a child and raised by a cold aunt. Now, as an adult, he is dabbling in white collar crime because he still can't get a break. But things change when he gets asked to find the wealthy Dicky Greenleaf in Greece and convince him to come home. (Jaws music should probably be playing at this point.)

I think I have realised why I struggle with books with the bad guy as the protagonist. I am a goody two shoes. I have this ridiculous fear of getting into trouble. So this is my mental process while reading books like this: What are you doing? You are never going to get away with that! ... Oh you idiot! You are going to be in SOOO much trouble! ... Dude! You're insane. WTF! There is no way you are going to pull that off! ... etc., etc.,etc.. I have to force myself to realise that, should this be real, I would want the guy trussed up well and tossed in jail indefinitely. But the thought of all that trouble...

In other words, my reading experience of this was draining and suspenseful; I could use that old cliche: like watching a train wreck in slow motion. But having said that, it was an interesting read. I could also see similarities between Tom and Patrick Bateman from 'American Psycho' by Bret Easton Ellis. 'The Talented Mr Ripley' was far less graphic though, so it was much less repulsive to read.

I probably should also mention that this is one of the few books I have read where I have noticed the correct use of the gerund. Patricia Highsmith managed to take me on one hell of a ride because of the characters she created. Even though I would detest someone like Tom, I could feel sympathy for him, and, (which is odd) want him to succeed - or at least get away with what he did. I felt Tom's hurt, embarrassment and discomfort when things stopped going well for him with Dicky. Although Marge should have been seen as a caring character, I constantly saw her as a potential hindrance. I think this all goes to show that Tom was a brilliant narrator.

This is probably deserved 3.5 stars from me, if not more.

No comments:

Post a Comment