Tuesday 1 November 2016

Atonement by Ian McEwan

What a difficult book to review - although that is not the books fault. it is my fault. I watched the movie years ago, and that was a problem.


When Briony is a child she witnesses something between her older sister and a friend, Robbie. Her lack of understanding of their relationship, makes her do something that she will regret for the rest of her life. (And that is no hyperbole.)

This book starts off very slowly. The first day is over 100 pages long, but it is a HUGELY important day, as it is the day that changes everything. As a result, we get to hear about many of the events from the perspectives of different people. Which can be tedious - if you have seen the movie. I loved the language, but... I knew everything that was going to happen and, although I saw the movie 8 years ago, I could still visualise everything from the film (It is a great film. Go watch it. Bring tissues.). I must admit that I was debating putting the book down at this point, and I will confess to some speed reading.

The pacing picks up in the second part, set a few years later during the war. My memory of this part from the film was more vague, so I was much more interested here. Spending time with Robbie was devastating - not only because of the war, but because of what had happened to him.

Although I really do not want to compare the book to the movie, I can't help it. I think the movie *squeaks* is a bit better. The movies ending packed such a punch that months later I couldn't tell my mom about it without sobbing - but the book's didn't do that to me. Maybe it was because I knew what was going to happen; maybe it is because the movie's statement is far less open to interpretation and therefore so much more devastating.

This isn't a bad book. It deserves the 4 star rating (although I think it is really a 3.5). But... I would probably recommend the movie. Especially to get past that first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment