Friday 18 September 2015

Fortunately, the Milk . . . by Neil Gaiman

It is no secret here that I love Neil Gaiman. I put this one on my wish list, without really intending to buy it, because of that thing called target market and my being no where near it. I was curious though, (which is why it was there) especially since Neil Gaiman had said somewhere that the best children's book were entertaining for adults to read to. I can understand that. But I wanted to see if he did that.  The result? I read this in one standing and one perch. (I started by just wanting to read the first page or two, and after a few minutes, I ended up perching at the foot of my bed until I finished it.)

Dad goes out to buy milk. He takes much longer than expected. What happened? If you want to know, and you happen to like dinosaurs, pirates, aliens, human sacrificing tribal folks and more, then this is the book for you!

“No milk," I said.

"No milk," said my sister.

I watched my dad think about this. He looked like he was going to suggest that we have something for breakfast that you do not need milk for, like sausages, but then he looked like he remembered that, without milk, he couldn't have his tea. He had his "no tea" face.

"You poor children," he said. "I will walk down to the shop on the corner. I will get milk.”
― Neil Gaiman, Fortunately, the Milk

This was a delightful read, both for the story and for the pictures. I have never considered myself much of a picture book person, but these added to the story, and I can see how they would completely add to the entertainment value for a child.

There is not much to say about this really. After all, it isn't as though there are in depth themes that can be uncovered (unless we go for the good old-fashioned one of good vs evil). The characters are fun, and I loved how the title of the books works into the tale so nicely. I also enjoyed how Neil Gaiman's advice was evident here - not word was there just because. They were all of value.

I gave this one 5 stars, because I thought it was a brilliant kids book. If a had a child, and if I were reading to it, this would be one I would not object to reading a few times.

This was the 59th book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment