Saturday 4 July 2015

June 2015 Wrap Up

...coming to you traditionally late as I had to finish writing the reviews on the books I read in June.

June was quite the month! I got through 12 books! Woot! That makes it my most successful reading month this year, and that is something considering I was still working! It has also put me 6 books ahead of schedule! Can you sense the size of my smile? I bet you can.

The month started quietly with the memoir More Fool Me by Stephen Fry. Although I enjoy Fry's writing (to date), his persona on tv and his sense of humour, I found myself, for the first time, not enjoying something he had done. This memoir was disappointing. Even if I ignored the facts covered that were disappointing, the writing particularly towards the end, was a let down. I found it very repetitive, and I could not see the point in it being there at all. I did learn more about Hugh Laurie, though, and I enjoyed those bits.

Next up was Dune by Frank Herbert. I had had this book on my shelf for a long time and had been putting it off (for shallow reasons: butt-ugly cover and tiny print). It was time that I read it and so I did. I was quite impressed with this. I am not a huge reader of Sci-Fi so I really do not have much to compare Dune to. But as a whole, the story moved and kept my attention. I really appreciated the amount of detail Herbert went into in world building. There are some areas, thinking back on it, that did not feel completely right, but I cannot put my finger on it. Maybe it was that even though Paul was the protagonist and the mighty warrior/saviour of the people, he still seemed unknowable to me.

After Dune, I hit a play in a hunt for literature for a class at school. The Real Inspector Hound was a quick, hillarious read. I enjoyed how it satirised critics and how it mimicked a crime drama on stage. There were so many unexpected events that by the end, I gave up trying to predict and just enjoyed the outcome.

The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger was the next book I finished. I went into this expecting something impressive, but instead I found myself disappointed. I will be honest (again) and reiterate that I am not a romance reader. I feel that there is more to being successful than landing a partner for life. I could not justify Clare's attraction for Henry (besides the fact that he would come and visit her when she was a child and that she had grown up knowing that she would marry him). I didn't think he was a great catch. I also felt that Clare did not have a great role in the story. Henry would travel through time, and she would basically sit and wait for him to return. I know I am simplifying it, but surely she could have been more than 'the time traveller's wife' and been something on her own?

The start of the Rainbow Readathon marked the beginning of a great stretch of reading. It began with Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. I enjoyed reading this. I found the plot original and I enjoyed how Sloan merged the old and new 'technologies' in the making of this book. I liked the characters too. And of course, it was set in a bookshop. What is there not to like?

Next up was The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente, whose title could be a novel on its own. I absolutely loved this. Although it has the feel of a children's book, I really don't think a child would get out of it what an adult would. There were some really awesome lines in it, and some of the ideas were inspired too. I think many folks out there would enjoy it - if they are prepared to give it a chance.

Last year I read Legion in Legion and The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson, a bind-up of two novellas. This month I moved the book to my mental 'read' pile by completing the second story, The Emperor's Soul. Although I think I was more impressed with the first story, I really enjoyed this one too. I had never read a scenario like the one he created in this book before, and I found it gripping. I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next. I think this book makes a good introduction to readers who are tempted to read Sanderson, but who are nervous at the size of Mistborn or his other books.

Once again, I decided to read a book that I had been ignoring because it was ugly: The Accidental Apprentice by Vikas Swarup (I sound horribly shallow, but this cover really is ugly - especially if you happen to not like orange.). This was a fun revisit to India again for me. I enjoyed the female characters in this, and loved how they were strong, independent and wise. I would recommend this one to readers who would like to start reading diversely, and would like a simple introduction to India. This book was very accessible and the plot did keep things moving.

I then decided to hit my favourite series of the year, and read The Kalahari Typing School for Men by Alexander McCall Smith. This is the 4th book in The Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. This book was enjoyable again, but I am starting to find them a bit too similar to each other. I know, I know, that is what one would really want in a series. But the magic that I felt in the first two are no longer there. The book was still good, but it was not fantastic. I would still recommend this series to readers. I still plan on continuing them.

Next up: Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman. Some of the short stories in this collection were fantastic. It is no secret that I love Neil Gaiman's writing. Having a short story from him every night was my version of Christmas. There were some really awesome stories. With the risk of repeating myself again, I really loved The Man who Forgot Ray Bradbury, If you read no other short from this collection, make sure you read that one. Oh, and for fans of Doctor Who, there is a short story of the Doctor in there too. He captured the atmosphere of Doctor Who well.

The penultimate book for the month was Night Film by Marisha Pessl. While I rated this one fairly low (for me), I still enjoyed the reading experience. I can see why a lot of people would like it, especially with the webpages and files etc. in it. I should warn that the ending could be disappointing to some. I found it disappointing. But then there are others out there who liked it, so don't take my word on that one.

And finally! The best book of the month and possibly the year, 2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas by Marie-Helene Bertino. I absolutely loved everything about this. I loved the style in which it was written, I loved the characters (even the not-so-nice ones), and I enjoyed the 'plot' - although it isn't plot heavy like a crime novel would be.

Shew! This is a long post! If I ever get round to Booktubing, I will look forward to doing these on video and not fixing a gazillion typos in the attempt to not look illiterate (my keyboard is acting up, and being 1am isn't helping matters).

Books read: 12
Books cleared for TBR challenge: 11
Books bought: 18 *gulp* (I am blaming it on the fact that I am getting a new bookcase, so for the first time in a long time, I am not worrying about space. Plus, my bookshop got in a huge selection of books I really wanted at a third of the normal price. Man! I was not going to put it off!)

No comments:

Post a Comment