Friday 26 June 2015

The Kalahari Typing School for Men by Alexander McCall Smith

This is the 4th book in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. I have been working my way through them this year, and loving every moment of it.

This book is going to be difficult to talk about as it is a middle book in a series. I have also discussed the earlier books in this blog already, so anything I say about the series in general is basically going to be a repetition of what I have said before.

Briefly, in this story, Mma Makutsi expands her entrepreneurial skill by opening a typing school for men, another detective agency opens its door in town, and ... is there some romance in the air?

The characters continue to develop and grow. I also enjoy the simplistic (and sometimes rather ironic) lines of wisdom to be found in these pages. I am really impressed with how women and feminism is handled in these books. Granted, the female characters do down men a lot, but they are breaking new ground in a culture where women are seen as subservient. Maybe it is a necessary stepping stone? It is great though, seeing African women being irreplaceable, business-minded and independent.

This is the 36th book I've read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.
I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment