Wednesday 24 June 2015

Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

I had heard great things about this one on Booktube. As a result, I was hesitant to read it. And then my amazing lady at my favourite bookshop pointed it out to me, and I bought it. (I am the best customer in a book shop. Someone just needs to show me a book and I am ready to buy it.)

I read it within a day or two of purchasing it. (Now that is a habit I would like to encourage!)

I had managed to remain completely spoiler free on this one. I knew nothing about the book, besides that it took place in a bookshop. (The title was a big giveaway on that point.) That is the way I like to go into books - completely blind. As a result, everything that happened was a pleasant surprise.

And that statement leaves me with a conundrum. Do I tell you what I liked about the book and risk ruining your experience of reading it? Or do I go ahead and tell you, because that is what people expect from book reviews? Puzzles, puzzles....

Actually, that is quite fitting. Puzzles. There are some puzzles in this book. And books, quite a lot of books. And there are people. Some are weird, some are modern and others are bookish. There is one thing that I have to say, and I hope it doesn't spoil anything. I really liked how the romance concluded in the book. It was completely realistic. There, I said it.  I also enjoyed how the book combined both old and new ways convincingly (vague, I know. Spoilers!). It also at no point felt fictitious.

Anyone who wants a break from heavy reading, or readers in general, will probably enjoy this (because it is about books and a bookshop - mostly-ish).

This is the 32nd book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.
I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads, solely on the enjoyment factor. It was fun, light, and everything a stressed out teacher, trying to get reports and comments done, could ever want. Plus it was in a bookshop - mostly-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment