Friday 22 July 2016

The Beach by Alex Garland

I saw the movie of this so long ago, the only thing I could remember was that 'the shit hit the fan'. I could not remember how or why the shit impacted with the fan, nor what happened when it did. But I knew it was going to happen.

Richard heads off to Bangkok. On his first night there he meets a man ranting about The Beach. The following day, the man gives him a map to The Beach. This perfect utopia. Who would not want to go there?

I was very worried that, as I read this, I would remember the movie. That did not happen. Either the movie was very different to the book, or else I have had my head filled with so many stories it can't separate one from the other. But I was really pleased about that. It meant I could really enjoy the thrilling aspect of wanting, no, NEEDING to know what was going to happen. The pace is also elevated as each chapter is so short (3 or so pages), that one finds oneself saying "Oh, just one more chapter" multiple times before turning in for the night, making lunch, making supper or heading out to do whatever adult thing needs to be done. I don't know why I love books with short chapters so much, but I really seem to breeze through them.

As to the story, I was spellbound. I don't want to head into more detail than that, because, should you have managed to avoid the movie, it would not be nice for me to blast you with spoilers. I will just say that spending time in Richard's head was very interesting. The other thing that is hard to avoid is the ominous undertone.

I would recommend this book to folks who enjoyed Lord of the Flies by William Golding, folks who love to travel (or who would love to travel) and who have travelled through Thailand and places that are similar. I would also suggest that this book should be avoided by those who are offended by bad language.

I gave this 4 stars on both Goodreads and my own records. It was a gripping read and very well constructed.




No comments:

Post a Comment