Saturday 16 July 2016

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

I suppose everyone and their mother has heard about Dexter. I never saw the TV series. When I was teaching in South Korea, it was on at home, and by the time I got home, it was at around season 3 or 4 and the hype had died down. In other words, I missed out on the motivation to actually watch it. But, having said that, I thought I would keep an eye out for the book and give it a go. After all, "the book is always better", or so the saying goes. I picked up the first book in the series for a steal of a price at my favourite second hand bookshop.

Dexter is a psychopath, a serial killer, but with a difference. He kills bad guys (which I suppose puts him in the same category of pretty much every other crime fighter out there, the Jack Reachers and the like.). He also happens to work for the police - the blood spatter guy. In this book, a psychopath in  town is toying with him, tempting him.

“Another beautiful Miami day. Mutilated corpses with a chance of afternoon showers. I got dressed and went to work.”
― Jeff Lindsay, Darkly Dreaming Dexter

I must admit that I was really expecting this to be a lot darker than it really was. I was expecting something like You by Caroline Kepnes, where spending time in the head of the character would make me have a strong urge to wash my brain with bleach and then read romance stories. Instead, I found this quite funny, and completely lacking in 'dark'. Although I suppose if you are a bit squeamish, then perhaps the opening scene could disturb a bit.

The plot was predictable. Maybe it was because this was the first book in a series, setting up everything else to come in the future, but I guessed everything. And when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING! And I did that at about the 20% mark. I wish I was exaggerating. Instead of feeling accomplished, I felt a bit cheated. It was too easy.

There was one other thing I did not really appreciate, and that was how clueless he made Dexter's sister. She was worse in social situations than he was. That did not make sense. As a cop she was useless. She needed him to make every decision and observation for her. That was just annoying. Yes, yes. I know the series isn't 'Dexter's Sister', but she could at least have been allowed an IQ larger than the average jelly fish's.

I gave this 2 stars. I had a few chuckles while reading it. It was OK. I don't know if I will continue with the series. It was entertaining, but nothing special. At least Jack Reacher (by Lee Child) books are more humorous and have more complicated plots.

No comments:

Post a Comment