Saturday 4 June 2016

The Grownup by Gillian Flynn

Ahhh... a guilty-pleasure author. Yes, I will confess that I am one of those many folks out there that enjoys Gillian Flynn. She goes down particularly well when I am overloaded with work. As this is only a novella, it was perfect for what I wanted.

She is con-artist, posing as a psychic as her other job, wanking off guys, is putting a strain on her wrist. One day a woman comes to her with a concern - her stepson is changing, becoming darker. Of course our questionably ethical narrator is going to take the job. (Some Jaws music would be good about now.)

I enjoyed this. For starters, it was a pleasant, quick read that didn't take up much time, so I didn't feel guilty sitting down with it this afternoon, taking a break from work.  Then, this is exactly what you would expect from Gillian Flynn - twisted, weird and unexpected.

I really enjoyed the beginning. I died laughing at the explanation about the change in career. I loved the middle as it was particularly creepy, and anything could have happened. The near end was brilliant. It was just the last few pages that I felt were a bit disappointing, a bit lacking in the thrill factor or perhaps just a let down. But it was still an enjoyable read.

It is nearly impossible to say more about a book that is only 79 pages long. I gave it 3 stars. I would recommend it to fans of Flynn, or folks who like weird and twisted. This is not her best work though, so I would not recommend it or people wanting to see if they like her writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment