Sunday 24 April 2016

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

As book people, I am sure this has happened to you. You see a book on your 'I want to read list' and buy it, although you have absolutely no memory of hearing of it before, no clue to where you heard about it, or what it was that made you interested. Oddly enough, even after having read this, I have no clue why I put this on my 'Wanna read' list. I doesn't cover any of the themes, genres or topics I usually perk up to.

R is a zombie. Brains are delicious. They carry memories of the person who has become the meal, and are really the only way he can remember aspects of humanity. Except for one thing. R can speak. His speech is disjointed, and shrugging is easier. But he can communicate. And then something happens.

I have spent many days trying to think about what I feel about this one. And you know what? I still have no idea. Romance is not my preferred genre (read the understatement of the decade) and I am still mostly out on things like zombies. Some books are great, some are far from it. This one was a combination. I really enjoyed some aspects of the zombie part. But, the romance aspect lost me.

The idea behind this was interesting. I am a language person, so I appreciated being in R's head. He was a word guy. But then things headed in my less preferred direction, and that was when I started to feel iffy. I liked everything except for the ending - the reason for everything. I felt it was a shallow, a cop out as opposed to finding a good reason. Urgh. It is so hard talking about things when mentioning anything substantial is a spoiler.

I did pick up the comment that we are pretty much living our lives as zombies. But I can't see how that could fit in with the story. As the book was structured, the premise did not work. Which really made the ending seem pathetic - or at least in my opinion. I see loads of people have enjoyed this.

I gave it 3 stars. I was enjoyable. I did like R. I don't have any desire to pick up the sequel though - unless I hear something spectacular about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment