Tuesday 19 April 2016

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz, George Goulding (Translator)

I feel bad in a way for enjoying this book as much as I did. I was so happy to spend time with Lisbeth again, I actually found myself not caring that it was written by someone other than Larsson. I just want more. There. I am prejudiced. You can't trust this 'review'.

A combination between revenge, industrial espionage, computer hacking that can make the most blasé of folks paranoid. and some family history. There. Vague enough, considering that this book does follow on from Larsson's?

Look, I will be the first (or second) person to admit that these aren't anything but high action novels set around one really extreme character. But you know what? They are fun. They keep one guessing and it is nice, for a change, to see how things are done in a different country other that the USA or UK. Oh, and did I mention fun?

It has been two years and approximately 240 books since I read Larsson's Millenium series, so I am hazy on details. But most folks who will be picking this one up are likely to be in the same position (unless they chose to do a quick reread). Just keep that in mind while I attempt to compare the books. I felt that this was somewhat slightly tamer than Larsson's. I do think it is a good continuation, though. The majority of the characters still felt the same to me. Perhaps Lisbeth was just a bit less aggressive - but then maybe she is maturing a bit. There was that moment at the end of the third book where she had a choice and ... (as if I will tell you that). Don't get me wrong. She hasn't rolled over to play dead. She just showed a bit of insight and chose not to brutally beat up a poor excuse for a human for the sake of someone else. She still put the fear of all things living into him though.

I really enjoyed Lisbeth - I always have. It is great having a female character who is not restricted by what other people think of her. I love that she can look after herself: physically and intellectually and financially. I even love that she has a very big grey area between what is right and wrong, as far as her own actions go, but has very rigid ideas on what is not negotiable for others. Violence against women and children is in that category. I have read a complaint that her character became a baby-sitter in this book, and my feelings on that were the opposite. Considering how the plot progressed, I saw her actions to be understandable. In fact, the interaction between her and the child was part of my enjoyment: I know for a fact that 'normal' folks like you and me struggle to make connections with kids like that one. I am not saying that in the real world, a character like Lisbeth would solve multiple issues in special needs schooling situations (although considering her lawless approach to solving issues of abuse, maybe she is exactly what all schools need), but what we have now isn't working, so who knows? Maybe it is worth considering.

I have learnt that this plot was created by Lagencrantz, and although there was nothing I could fault with it, I am still so VERY curious to see what Larsson had planned (as this was potentially to be a 10 book series or something like that).

Any plans on a 5th book? I kinda want it - yesterday! (Come on. It definitely read like there was room for a few more.)

No comments:

Post a Comment