Friday 11 November 2016

Lightbringer series books 1 -3 by Brent Weeks

Yeah,. The best cure for one's head after reading something truly sick and twisted (did you see I have finally made the label for that with the last post?) is some fantasy. Plus, it was the holiday (that brief 5 days off between one crazy workload and the next) which meant I could settle down and get some reading done - reading books that one does not want to have to put down at a reasonable hour because of work the following day.

I am going to lump the three books together here. Just in case you are new around here, this makes it easier as books in the middle of a series are harder to review because pretty much anything said is a spoiler for earlier books.

The Black Prism


This is a fantastic world with a super magic system based on colours! How different! The Prism, the magical head of this world receives notice that he has an illegitimate son in a distant land. Following his son, Kip, he realise that war is breaking out there. Can The Prism reach him in time to save his life? Well, that will be answered by around chapter 3. after that, it gets more exciting and involved as politics, war and hidden agendas come in to play.

I will say one thing for Brent Weeks - he can write one action packed story. I must say that whenever I read a story that gets too exciting, I end up pacing around the house - something that is difficult to do with a book in my hand. But I just can't sit still. I would have finished this an hour earlier if I didn't feel an urgent need to go pacing.

What I enjoyed the most about this was that the characters kept me guessing. Good, bad, just well-rounded? Guess time will tell!

The Blinding Knife 


I am honestly not saying a word on the synopsis here. Anything I say will ruin book 1.

Another thrilling ride. This books does not suffer from second-book-slump syndrome. One thing about exciting books is that they read very quickly.

If I were to be picky, I would say that there are some continuity issues with regards to characters. Also, that there are times where I feel that some lines are put in to be funny (when it really is not the right place) and unfortunately, it gives an aftertaste of immaturity. But then. I wasn't reading this because I was in the mood for highbrow intellectualism. This story is fun, fast-paced, and likes to keep one guessing. And guessing and guessing some more. I don't think I would trust my own shadow in this world!

The Broken Eye


Once again, I have nothing to say about the synopsis. If you want to be spoiled, head on over to Goodreads and read it there.

This one is my favourite so far! And do I want to get my hands on the next two books - yesterday!

The odd moment of immaturity that I had mentioned in my review of the previous book was drastically reduced in this one. The story has become so much more involved and layered. To say that I enjoyed this is quite the understatement. It was exactly what I wanted for my very short holiday. Perfect escapism, an amazing magic system, and a world that has left me quite impressed. And hell, did it play havoc on my nerves. I hope my favourite characters have gone and done something really stupid.

AHHH!!! I want the next two books NOW!!!! Please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment