Thursday 3 November 2016

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Another book that had been sitting on my shelf for ages. This year I wanted to get my TBR pile down to something far more reasonable. (Isn't that a joke. It has grown, multiplied and had children. Soon it will be wanting to move out and get a driver's licence.)

Writing a synopsis for this is not going to be easy at all. I cannot tell you what the story is about because... well... it is almost like a collection of short stories that are connected to each other - except that the stories are read as though they are real, with past, present and future settings. (Which is why, when you look at the shelves for this book on Goodreads, you will see it shelved as contemporary, historical and sci-fi.) Besides the stories being connected to one another, themes connect the stories too - and they are good themes: slavery etc.

This was fantastic. I have never encountered a concept like this before. I found myself glued to each story, disappointed when each stopped, and then completely glued to the next. And the best thing! I got to do it all in reverse again! Reading the conclusion to each tale, and seeing how it all fitted in with the other tales.

David Mitchell can create characters who have their own distinctive voice. Hands down, the man is a genius. His character in here were also very diverse, ranging from bisexual to Korean. But it isn't just his characters that kept me going, completely awed. His plots (and the overall storyline) were great too. I am so pleased that I have more to look forward to from Mitchell. This book was such a good investment, both financially and of time.

I gave it a well deserved 5 star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment