Thursday 5 May 2016

Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

Here I am again, trying to pop out half a dozen reviews so that I can do my monthly wrap up. Wow. April was a horrid month for me. Not only did my car break down, but I was rear ended in a car accident while driving my mom's car, and then, just to make it 3 things on cars alone, my car was broken into and now I have a huge hole where my radio once was, and another deficit in my bank account for replacing a smashed window. And then, if that isn't enough, my dog was diagnosed with cancer and we have been told he has only about 6 months left. And all of that was happening while I trying to break world records for setting exam papers, as I do the work of 5 teachers. I didn't really read much, and I didn't get around to writing about what I did read.

This book has constantly popped up on reading lists and, as the matric setwork this year is The Crucible, also by Arthur Miller, I decided to give it a go.

This story/play, follows Willy, a salesman, at the end of his career. We see about 24 hours of his life, and in that time, a lot is revealed about his character.

I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had seen it as opposed to having read it. I found that I was taken out of the story when I had to figure out the stage settings and work out where the characters were supposed to be, when they were supposed to be and visualise what it was supposed to look like, especially with areas fading and others lighting up and props moving.

The story though was interesting. It provided an interesting commentary on the shallowness of the commercial life. Willy is a salesman, and although it seems as though his life has been a huge success and that people admire, respect, and even like him at the beginning of the book, it doesn't take long for us to see through the facade. By the end, we see a man who captures most of our own lives, someone who has given a lot of himself to still not be able to make ends meet, to be able to retire, or to enjoy what he has worked for. But even though I say that, I also cannot say that I liked Willy. His warped view on his life was frustrating - how could he not see that he was telling himself lies? His sons were interesting; children, now adults, believing these things about their father, believing that this fake level of success is possible and attainable for all. Which of course is something we tell children all the time. No one wants to be the person to tell kids the truth of the reality that awaits them in adulthood.

Although I can't say this was an enjoyable read, it was an interesting one. It has given me something to think about. I gave it 3 stars overall though, as I did say that I struggled to visualise the settings, which took me out of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment