Thursday 12 May 2016

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

I am going to try and not be embarrassed about all the typos and silly mistakes (redundant words and repetitions) in my April wrap up - which also happens to be the most-viewed post I have made in a long time. All I can say is that even English teachers have bad days - apparently those bad days are more frequent when setting a gazillion exam papers. I am also going to ignore editing it for now too, as I am falling far behind again on this blog and I would rather sit here and make progress than dig around in that.

Bel Canto. noun (music) a style of singing characterized by beauty of tone rather than dramatic power - The Collins English Dictionary

The above definition is pretty much all that I knew about this book on picking it up. I had seen it on many lists (no really - you want to spend hours of your life procrastinating this is the place to go) and that is usually a good sign. And, I should probably confess here that I have a soft spot for my classical tenors and reasonable doses of Sarah Brightman - the one soprano that I completely adore. While it might not be the traditional opera that is mentioned in Bel Canto, it is still beautiful music made with spectacular voices. So, I was hooked from the first page.

I think I am jumping the gun a bit. Perhaps I should give a small synopsis. There is a political function in the vice president's mansion in some unnamed country in South America. Terrorists enter and a hostage situation ensues.

I was expecting something heavy. Instead, I was captivated. I did not expect a hostage situation - I was expecting opera. But saying that this book is about a hostage situation, does not quite give the right impression. This is not about a Bruce Willis-wannabe coming to save the day by climbing through ventilation pipes. This is about people; people who are taken from their familiar settings and put in a completely different place. It is a fantastic idea and was pulled off masterfully. But the hostages are not the only people we learn to love. Even the terrorists creep into our hearts and make a bit of a home. Hmm.. I think I have just confessed to a dose of Stockholm syndrome.

There were parts where I laughed, especially parts about the prime minister in his new-found role.

In so many ways, this book could have been written just for me. Although sopranos are not my favourite singers (with the exception of Sarah Brightman), I could completely feel the effect of the singing in this. I love the piano, so even that aspect had me. I could understand perfectly how the music could have affected all in the house. It affected me and I was only imagining hearing it.

While I absolutely enjoyed this, it isn't a book I would recommend for folks who want a fast, pacey read.

No comments:

Post a Comment