Wednesday 28 October 2015

You by Caroline Kepnes

Don't sit down yet. Lock your doors, close your curtains, change your passwords - for everything. Feeling safe yet? You won't be for long - not after reading this twisted book...

This was a creepy book. If I had a shelf for 'completely messed up', this one would be there. It is one thing reading about someone being stalked and completely another reading about it in first person from the stalkers point of view. I need brain bleach badly!

The writing itself was pretty good. It carried the madness of the narrator when it was necessary and carried his calmness when needed. I did not find him scary, but then, as he was narrating the story, he was the definition of an unreliable narrator, as he clearly thought there was nothing wrong with what he was doing. After a while, though, I did get tired of the darkness. This is not a light, fun book to read. And if you are offended by vulgar language and fairly graphic sexual fantasies, then, well, there a many other books out there that would not be shelved on 'completely messed up'.

I did feel that the story should have moved a bit faster. I was getting a bit bored by the end, because there are only so many times one can read about the similar fantasies and concerns without starting to roll one's eyes. I also felt that in the last third, some things he did were not completely in character - keeping in mind that I am not a sick stalker dude. I was a bit curious as to why Kepnes went there with the story. I also had a couple of questions regarding some later events in the plot, but to go into them would be a spoiler.

This was not a bad read. But, even though it is a cardinal sin when talking books, I felt that in someone like Gillian Flynn's hands, I would have closed my facebook account and been completely freaked out. Not that this wasn't freaky, wacky and completely messed up as it was, but it missed something that Flynn has.

I should also add that I am surprised to see that there is a sequel coming. I don't think I will be reading it. One messed up book is enough for me. I also can't really see what a sequel could do that would add to this story. I think it stood well enough on its own. But, as I haven't read it, I can't give anything more than an unsubstantiated opinion on that point. If you are the type of reader who doesn't want to start a long series, don't let the sequel put you off. You stands alone just fine.

Once again, this is not for everyone. It is dark, twisted and likely to leave a strange after taste. But if this does sound up your aisle, then give it a read. You have been warned though.

It is the 70th book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.

I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads because I got tired of all the darkness and living in Joe's head. It was not a nice place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment