Sunday 4 October 2015

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

I don't know why, but I thought this was going to be a heavy read - especially with the introduction written by Chuck Palahniuk. It turned out to be anything but. Had it not been for the fact that I had guests staying for the weekend, I would have finished it in a sitting.

Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse have a few dreams: have three beautiful children and live at Bramford, a set of luxury apartments. But after confirming their move, they learn the horrid past of Bramford: a former venue for a coven of baby-flesh eating witches, multiple deaths and murders. But Ro and Guy are convinced that they will be fine. Naturally!

Was this scary? No - or at least, I didn't find it that way at all. (Bugger, still on the look out for a book that scares me for the Sugarpop reading challenge. I'm starting to think I am going to have handle that one a bit figuratively.) I did enjoy how Levin structured the book. I thought the clues were all very obvious, but that made it so much more suspenseful as, as the reader, one knows exactly what is potting. Although I usually hate it when the protagonist continues on oblivious to what is happening, I did not find myself frustrated with Rosemary, as I could see that her wish to have everything all right, for once, was believable, and I could see why she would accept the explanations she received.

So who is likely going to enjoy this or want to read this? Although I am not going out of my way to do the Rory Gilmore reading challenge, I am aware of some of the books on the list. If they look interesting, I pick them up. This one was there, and, if you happen to want to do the challenge, this is a quick and easy read. This is also, perhaps, a good read for newbies to the horror genre who would like to wet their toes. (As I said, I didn't find it scary, but whether I am thick skinned or whether it isn't scary is anyone's guess.)

I gave this one 4 stars on Goodreads.

It is the 65th book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment