Thursday 12 March 2015

The First Ever Readathon at my High School


One of my work goals for this year is to start a library at my school. To do this, I need money. Yeah. It is always money, isn't it?

I had the idea of doing a sponsored readathon. In other words, I would run a regular readathon over a week, and the kids would find people to sponsor them per page they read (or give a donation). Kids whose parents have businesses could sponsor a teacher.

The goals were:

  • Get the kids reading! (if only for a week)
  • Make lots and lots of money!
  • Buy fun, MODERN YA books that will get them to enjoy reading. (Bugger quality reading for now.)

I know I had an unrealistic goal - ZAR 40 000. (That is roughly US$ 4000.) A shit load of money, which would get me approximately 200 books. It isn't a lot, but it is a start.

Well, I must say that I saw kids reading for the week. Teens were walking around with books in their hands, talking books, and enjoying books. Even kids who I thought would balk at the thought of reading, even with a gun at their heads, got involved. I am not claiming it was perfect. There were still the few who were too cool for it, but I am glad to say that they were a real minority. As to money raised, I still do not know. It is coming in slowly - very slowly for someone as impatient as me.

Over the week I read 1643 pages. Not shabby considering my brother has come to stay for a few weeks before leaving the country for good. I will put up reviews of those books over the coming week. I just have to juggle test setting, marking and spending time with the family with that plan too.

I will also be doing an Unhaul post. There are many YA books that I have bought for the sole purpose of reading for recommendations to kids and will never reread. I have been given permission to sell them to the school for a reasonable 2nd hand price (they look brand new), which will benefit the both of us - I will be able to buy new books and they should be able to get 6 - 7 books for the price of 1 new release.

My next move is to ask parents to donate all old books they have to the school, be they appropriate or not. I will then go to second hand book shops and see if I can find good quality YA books to exchange for those. Ideally, I would rather have a library of new books as they will be more likely to last a bit longer. But second hand books, especially if in good nick, are still far better than the absolute zero books we have now.

Anyone here have any other ideas on how to raise money specifically for a library? I could really do with some!

*Picture nabbed from here


No comments:

Post a Comment