Thursday 2 February 2017

An Inspector Calls by J.B. Priestley

What an interesting read.

I picked this up without knowing anything about it (it was skinny, and The Goldfinch was killing me and my stats slowly). The first act had my expectations a bit low. We see a high class family celebrating privately - a hoity-toity scenario that does not quite go with my excessively casual manner. An inspector arrives to discuss a suicide. Naturally, everyone claims to have had nothing to do with the deceased's decision.

"We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We are responsible for each other. And I tell you that the time will soon come when if men will not learn that lesson, then they will be taught it in fire and blood and anguish. Good night.”
― J.B. Priestley, An Inspector Calls

I was not expecting to be as engrossed in the story as I was. This play shows one accountability; Accountability for one's indirect actions, as well as the direct. I really thought the way it was done was effective. What really slammed the message home was the end - not the last page - that is another discussion all on its own. I have seen people do this; find a flaw in something and lose the entire lesson. And that ending! It came like a sledgehammer.

It is a pity that I will no longer be able to choose my own literature to teach, because this would have actually worked quite nicely for the drama section. I gave this 4 stars, although, looking back, I wonder why I didn't give it 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment