Saturday 22 October 2016

Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde

I had had an eye open for Jasper Fforde for some time, so when I stumbled upon two of his books (in mint condition) in my favourite secondhand bookshop, I couldn't resist. As my luck would have it though, I managed to pick up books 3 and 4 in the Thursday Next series, which meant a hunt was on (well, actually, I just went over to my favourite bookshop and sent them on a hunt) to find books 1 and 2. A week or so later, there they were!

Because it is so damned difficult discussing books later in a series (as spoilers are a thing), I decided to lump the whole lot in here. Well, the first three. I am yet to read the 4th book. I am saving it for when the kids start exams and I have a thing called free time.

So welcome to the post where I practise being vague, and where I emphasise that this was a fun read.

The Eyre Affair


In this book, we meet Thursday Next, an investigator in the Special Operative branch of literary detection. We meet an alternate universe to the one that we know: a world where time travel is possible, where people actually REALLY care about literature, and the Crimean war is still on going.

This was a great idea. I don't think I have ever encountered a plot like this at all. It was fun, but what made this a really enjoyable read were all the literary references. I felt this book was filled with insider jokes for readers. Especially readers who have read tons of classics.

I really enjoyed Thursday. She was a feisty lead character. She was not afraid to take chances. Rochester was also fun. I liked how he was portrayed - but I can't say more on that without spoiling something.

Overall, this was a fun read. I gave it 4 stars for its original plot and chuckle factor.

 Lost in a Good Book 


This book picks up exactly where the previous one left off - hence, no synopsis. Well... ok, maybe a short synopsis. Someone has gone back in time and changed something. Oh, and Thursday might have to face some repercussions. Oh, and a whole NEW, SPECTACULAR, I WANNA GO THERE WORLD is introduced.

Another enjoyable and fun read. I think this one was only worth 3.5 stars. I enjoyed the first one a bit more. This one had a lot of waffling around in the middle - and although I enjoyed it for the literary references, I did get a bit impatient with it. Still, it is a new concept and it is done well.

It has definitely added to the puzzle that I suspect is running through these books. I am curious to know if Fforde planned all of these as one continuous series, or whether he is winging his way through them. If this is winging, I am impressed. If it isn't - dang! I will be forking out more money for the rest of the series. As it is, it doesn't look like one can just give up.

The Well of Lost Plots


And .... *drum roll* ... this book picks up exactly where the last one left off. Once again, no synopsis! I will say that we meet the Well of Lost Plots and Jasper Fforde raises the stakes.

Another fun read. Fforde is very good at blurring the lines between 'reality' and fiction. These are really stories one can live in.

I think my enjoyment of these books is based on the the number of books I have read - and the types of books I have read. Yes, this is a series for lit majors. The inside jokes are brilliant. The pacing is a bit slower than I would perhaps like, especially for the first two thirds of the book. After that, the last 100 pages flew by. But then, reading this nice and slowly is probably helping me enjoy the inside jokes more, as I am not bombarded with them in one sitting. This one also got 4 stars!

I have book 4, Something Rotten, and am really looking forward to delving into it!


No comments:

Post a Comment