Sunday 21 December 2014

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

So apparently social media and I just don't agree with one another. Or more accurately, my job's time requirements and social media just don't work together. I just never seem to get the chance to write up my thoughts on books. Hell, I barely get to read books at certain times in the year. But that is a whinge for the second and fourth terms of the school year. For now, finally, the long awaited summer holidays are here.

I will be posting (hopefully) reviews on all the books I have read over the past few months. But to start, I figured the most recent book I have finished would be easiest.

OK, quick synopsis. The story starts with Christopher Boone finding his neighbour's dog murdered and declaring that he will discover who did it. And that is all I am going to say on it. That was all I knew when I started this story, and I am really glad about that. It led to a few unexpected surprises.

Now for my thoughts: This book and I took a while to get to grips with one another, not because it was bad, but because the narrator was so realistically done. I could see one particular kid I teach in Christopher Boone and it took me a while to get immersed in the story as a result. The story line, however, went in a completely different direction to that which I was expecting which I enjoyed. 

I enjoyed the character growth in the story. I really enjoyed how Christopher pushed himself in areas that he found horribly uncomfortable to reach objectives. The characters that I appreciated, not in a humanitarian sense, but in a 'they were well crafted' sense were the adults in Christopher's life. Asperger is not something that is even remotely easy to deal with, and I appreciated the honesty with which the were shown.

One thing that pee'd me off: it spoilt The Hound of the Baskervilles for me. Ahhhh. I generally don't expect to get spoilers in other books.


I gave this book 4.5 stars, although, as it has given quite a bit to think about as far as Asperger Syndrome goes, maybe it should be upped to a 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment