Saturday 31 December 2016

Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin

Something dreadful happened to Tess when she was a teenager. By dreadful, I mean really, really dreadful. Perhaps the worst thing besides being raped or murdered (or raped and murdered). Decades later she is forced to face the reality that the person who was arrested for the crime might not have been guilty. Of course, she has always wondered this. Someone, after all, has been planting blackeyed susans under her bedroom windows.

I really enjoyed this, but I can completely understand why some people would not. I think it would be less the read than the disappointment thereafter. But, I loved that (Yip, I am being vague. Any more detail and I would completely ruin it for you.). I loved how this book got into my head, made my dreams extra weird (and a bit scary), and had me just as tense and as terrified as Tess was - especially for her daughter who is now a teenager. I also really enjoyed that this was not your average predictable thriller. No. There were surprises along the way, and definitely a few "You've got to be kidding me!" moments.

“Closure doesn’t exist,” she responds smoothly. “Just … awareness. That you can’t ever go back. That you know a truth about life’s randomness that most other people don’t.”
― Julia Heaberlin, Black-Eyed Susans

Another thing I really appreciated was the research that went into this book. Not only was the psychology behind this realistic (for extreme cases - I had stumbled upon this information while researching a book), but the forensic science was up to date and correlated with other things I had read (particularly from Kathy Reichs - and we all know what line of work she is in). Basically, I came out of this feeling that I had learnt something. This book also covered important social themes - themes that are particularly relevant in a day where prejudice and bias is seeming acceptable again. (And here I thought the world was progressing. How disappointing.)

I should probably also mention the format of the book. Instead of having an info dump of the events in the past, I had to piece everything together. One chapter was in the past, one in the present, past, present, and so on. But the past chapters pick up after the 'dreadful thing', so even that is left to the reader to find out slowly. I liked that, as it kept me completely involved in the book and turning pages.

I would recommend this for fans of Kathy Reichs's Tempy Brennan series, or just fans of thrillers. I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads. For a thriller, I found it original and a pretty good example of the genre - and not badly written either.

No comments:

Post a Comment