Saturday 20 August 2016

The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame

I will admit it. I bought The Wind in the Willows because it was pretty. Guilty as charged. You see all that yellow on the cover? It is actually a beautiful shiny gold. (Yes, like all readers out there, I also like pretty books.)

Simply explained, this is a children's book about woodland creatures: Rat, Toad, Mole and Badger; and their adventures. But it is also more than that. It is a tale of friendship, responsibility and friendship (friendship features a lot, because friendship involves more than just enjoying another person's company).

After buying it, I attempted it twice and just couldn't get into it. It wasn't because of the quality of the story, but just because I am not a child, and the thought of reading a book about Rat, Mole, Toad and Badger just seemed childish. This time, I read enough to get into it. And I must say, I ended up really enjoying this. It wasn't a book aimed solely at children, but for the parents reading the book too.

I am surprised at the vocabulary in this book aimed at young children! I find it quite shocking as to how drastically vocabulary has diminished over the years. I also had to laugh at the actions that were considered appropriate in the days this book was written. The characters smoked, one wielded a sword and guns, and I am not even going to get into all the things Toad did.

The characters were really well flushed out. While Toad irritated me the most, he was the most interesting character. I did find it a bit annoying as to how wonderful the rest of them were. People I have met are not that perfect. But if that is the only flaw I can find in this, then it was pretty good.

But this was enjoyable. For some reason, I had a Neil Gaiman-ey feeling while reading parts of this.
I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads, and that was only because I am a bit old to get lost in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment