Wednesday 25 November 2015

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

This was fantastic! I heard about this one on Jen Campbell's Booktube channel and decided immediately, that it was definitely up my aisle. I LOVE crime fiction. I cut my teeth on crime fiction. But my problem with crime fiction is that, and this is going to sound really snobbish of me - I apologise, is that it is generally very averagely written.

Beatrice learns that her sister has gone missing. She will do anything to uncover the truth and find out what happened, even when everyone else has given up.

Not only was this book a brilliant example of a suspenseful crime novel, but it was beautifully written and constructed. It is written as a letter to her sister, in the present, telling her about what happened. The way in which Beatrice spoke to her sister in this letter, the way she knew that her sister would be thinking over the things she said, made me envious of their relationship. (I don't have a sister.)

This book doesn't just deal with a suspenseful investigation, though. It is also a study into grief, human compassion and coming to terms with loss. As someone who has experienced loss, I found her portrayal believable, although I have read many reviews that have claimed otherwise.

I loved this book so much, in fact, that I am sitting here, dying to go into all the details that I adored: the characters that were so real, the multiple scenarios that could have played out, the way it played with my feelings and emotions... everything. But, I am scared I am going to spoil something, and this is one definitely worth going into blindly (which is why I am not adding any quotes to this).

If you like crime novels or if you like good writing, then this is a book for you!

I gave this one 5 stars on Goodreads. It is one of my favourite books of the year!

This is the 75th book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment