Wednesday 29 April 2015

Mr Mercedes by Stephen King

Don't you love it when people actually listen to you? My mom clearly was listening when I was rambling on about books I wanted, because this one pitched up, nicely wrapped for my birthday! Yay! (I also got The Stand by Stephen King - I hope that doesn't mean I am in for a HORRORible year!)

It is early in the morning. The sun is just starting to lighten the sky. People have been standing in a queue all night, waiting for a job fair to open. They are desperate. And then a Mercedes comes ploughing through them, killing many, injuring more. A year later, Detective Hodges, now retired, gets sent a taunting letter from the Mercedes Killer. Duh duh daaaaaaaah.

I loved every second of this! By the third page I was hooked! And what an ending! The last third of the book! I don't think I even breathed! I had to force myself not to read too fast because I was starting to miss things! It was thrilling and intense and bloody brilliant!

OK, I will breathe before I continue writing this. King is masterful at plot development, suspense and character. There was absolutely nothing I didn't enjoy in this book. It was a ride from the beginning right through to the end. The dual perspective between Hodges and the killer also added so much to the plot and the suspense! I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.

I don't think I can count this one for my TBR challenge, as I only owned it for one week before reading it. Awww... Oh well.
I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads. I think any crime novel enthusiast would enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment